Samson S: new to me crusty, where to begin

......when you need to get in the weeds.
DennisT

Re: Samson S: new to me crusty, where to begin

Post by DennisT »

Really interesting, thank you. Do you remember what facebook page/group you found these?
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Windmill Restoration
windybob

Post by windybob »

Looks like the nose plug unscrews. ( or the front plate) Hope that goes easy. Still don't see a keyway in the mainshaft. Not saying there isn't one. Sure like to know what holds the hub(s) tight. Maybe it's just the front castle nut, combined with the screw-on outer hub, and the 'tab-and-notch" thing. Hmmm. If that is the case, I wonder what the large hub pushes up against when tightening the front part.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

CTX, thanks. Those photos help. And one pipe plug shows in the picture. That plug's purpose is still unknown to me. I watch Windmill Restoration, but had not gone back far enough I guess. Seems a little mystery continues regarding the hub problem. Right now I see nothing anywhere to, "release," that might be holding the big main hub on, except rust. The back of it, (where the brake band rides), thins a lot, so I don't want to push too hard on that trying to force the hub off. I might try some way to put pressure on it, maybe incorporating wood wedges, then let it sit. I can't see how I'm going to get much penetrant in thee from the rusty front shaft.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Removing the shaft from the Hub is always hit or miss when you're not sure how it's held on. I once tried to press the front hub off a Dandy and then realized they screw on. SOMEONE on this forum must be able to help you !!
windybob

Post by windybob »

I think we are narrowing things down, and eliminating some things also. Some things just take more time than other things. If I would have ever done a S model I would know more. I did do one M model. Guess I need to stop by the shop and see what I can look at to maybe help. I know I have one S model, but not been into it. I have several M's. I have a 14 foot S with a spare hub, let me take a look later today. Dan, I did the exact same thing with my first Dandy.
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

CTXmiller's facebook photo discovery inspired me to dig through the fb Windmill Restoration page. I found that photo and a lot more posted by Klayton Kidd a coukple years ago. Klayton had apparently gotten no fb replies, so I found he had a page himself and there was a LOT more about what he'd done. I posted a reply to that old thread and, by Golly, Klayton say it and we've had discussion since about this hub question. Too much to put here, however, if you go now to fb Windmill Restoration's page, you'll find the discussion. Looks more and more like that danged big hub just slips on over a smooth shaft. To me, that seems like a lousy design. See what you thing.................
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

If the shaft is smooth it has to be tappered and the pressure of the nut tightened stops it from spinning on the shaft that would be my guess.
windybob

Post by windybob »

The nib and notch along with the screw on outer hub, and castle nut are the key ingredients. I would not be surprised to see a small shoulder on the shaft.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Must work ok. It won't come off, right? LOL