Samson S: new to me crusty, where to begin

......when you need to get in the weeds.
DennisT

Re: Samson S: new to me crusty, where to begin

Post by DennisT »

DSC_0496 1 brk adj .JPG
Began disassembly. Photos attached, I hope. I'm taking photos as I go. Doing all the research I can. I only have a shop crane to lift. I'm going to try to get a friend to build be an upright work stand for it as suggested elsewhere here. I worry about how lift it upright. Not sure where to pick it up from, or how later to get it high enough to drop into a stand. I've always heard the Aermotor folks pick those up by the steel loop on top of which is the mfg. date and hood mount, (can't remember correct name for that part). I just don't want to damage anything. First photo is the brake which seems to have survived fine. Looks like a LOT of the adjustment has been taken up. I can't tell if the band is worn thin badly. No idea what they look like fresh.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Looking at the top casting I'd say it was on a wooden tower when it was in the air. The answer I have heard about where to pick them up is not the loop. Someone said about the Aermotor that wasn't a good idea. I get me some straps to use around the body and not the chains.
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

I guess my post w/pics last night failed. I'll try again. Wayne, no, I've wanted to go to Pomeroy, just haven't made it. I've begun disassembly of this Model S head. Items:
1. At 80 years old now, I've slowed down some and wife and homestead requires a lot from me. So this will be SLOW. And everything will take place in an old farm building, dry, concrete floor, but no heat to work in winter. Have only a roll-around shop crane for lifting. That's what is holding it now.
2. So far, bolts have come apart easier than expected. (Arid, dry, wheat country here probably helped. But windy and dusty). Am taking off little parts so nothing gets broken. Brake arm is fine; brake band looks to have had most of the adjusting threads taken up. i don't know what a band in good shape looks like. Wish I did. See photo, (I hope)
3. I have no way to pressure wash this. Just trying to scrape everything I can and blow out with air. Inner oil pump tube slides easily up and down it's slot. Main head shaft moves, but only a little, so it's coming up against stuck gears......or???
4. Will try to get a friend to build me a, "stand," to set this whole thing in so it can be filled with diesel, (and a little ATF), but don't know how I'll be able to lift the head high enough to set it in place. Scratching head on that one.
5. Does this have a drain plug for draining the oil?
Enough for now. I'll try photos again. Thanks, Dennis in E WA state
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

Ha. I guess my stuff got posted! Sorry about some duplication, however, perhaps a little more information got injected because of it. Wayne, I agree, I'd prefer using straps. I just did not trust the 2-inch Harbor Freight ratchet tie down sets I have to take the load. I'll look on-line for straps; not sure how all of you decide on type and quality of straps for lifting. We have minimal of 100 mile round trip from here to store big enough to carry them, so I'm thinking Amazon or some on line seller. ???????
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

Continuing, --- yes, this lived on a wood tower. Still had 4x4 stubs attached when I got it. I'm with you, always felt I'd never lift an Aermotor by that hoop.
I'm still trying to understand the assembly of this whole thing. Diagrams show the twin oil pump tubes and the top cross-connector. I'd also like to know if they can be released somehow and pulled straight up out of the head/case.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

The top casting had roller balls in it to make spinning easier. I think I'd order me some before I sit it up so it would spin easier as you work on it. They could be 5/8. Maybe some one on the site knows for sure
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

Funny you should mention that...........a couple days ago when I was sweeping up some of the dirt, etc., I'd dislodged, I noticed a weird round brown rock in the dustpan. Then I realized it was an exact sphere. Then it took about 2 seconds to know I'd found one of the turntable ball bearings. Two more turned up as well. Pretty rusty as I would expect. They measure, (worn as they are), 1/2 inch in diameter. I think the same thing in my up-and-running F&W 37 measured 5/8. So I have samples to go from. Too bad someone affixed a partial sleeve over part of the down-pipe, otherwise I could slide off the turntable castings to clean them up. Now I can't. But I can see me sitting there soon next to a portable heater and wearing out a Dremel and other rotary tools wire wheeling everything. Maybe a proper diameter round stone in a Dremel might be gently run through the ball race groove, but I'd have to be careful not to create problems. All fun.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Just a wire wheel in a hand drill would probably knock the crud out. You can get the brass wired ones they clean without damaging.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Dennis Wayne is right this is what I use on crevices.
20231025_083720.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

When you take apart the oil pumps, don't be surprised when a little BB falls out. That's the check. Just be aware.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.