Wincharger 6V “Rebuild kit”

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about vintage wind generators, in most cases.
Joshschneids

Wincharger 6V “Rebuild kit”

Post by Joshschneids »

Hey all, i have a wincharger 6v Super “de-luxe” i want to get spinning smoother and possibly producing electricity again. Because why not?

I pulled this apart to replace the bearings , i can get #s off these and hopefully cross them at the auto parts store. I figured why not go further and see if i can get it to charge again. As far as brushes, springs etc, etc. has anybody travelled this path before? I have searched delco, autolite…. Different models of cars. So far i have tracked down this generator seems to be familiar to an autolite style. Ford, Jeep, mopar look similar.

I have 2 questions, has anybody found a good rebuild kit from a car that cross references over to fit a wincharger?

#2. If nobody has travelled this path before, if i were to do all the dirty work and come up with a rebuild kit, would anybody be interested in buying them? Won’t be hard to piece them together hopefully and would sell for a very minimal price. I have a friend that manages an Auto Parts store that can hopefully help do a lot of the sourcing for parts.

Have a great night everyone. The fall winds are coming in strong here in Ontario off the lake and making my Windmill’s turn excellent.

Also, if anybody is local to Canada i would love to purchase any wind generators someone wants to get rid of…..

Josh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Josh From Ontario
mtblah

Re: Wincharger 6V “Rebuild kit”

Post by mtblah »

Josh , looks like an interesting project , also how nice & clean your floors are . Mike in Manor TX is the windcharge guru so I am sure he will have expert advice when he reads your request .
Wind Charger Mike

Post by Wind Charger Mike »

I think it’s a great idea. I could list you as a supplier on Wincharger.com. Covering every Wincharger model would be a daunting task since they made over 100 different models, around 20 of those being 6V machines. I’d start with the early models, 36-39 which were Delco Remy. After 1939, they switched to Autolite. The 7-1/2” frame HD generators were mfg by Wincharger.
Joshschneids

Post by Joshschneids »

mtblah wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:31 am Josh , looks like an interesting project , also how nice & clean your floors are . Mike in Manor TX is the windcharge guru so I am sure he will have expert advice when he reads your request .
Thanks Mike! Floors really aren't that clean! haha
Josh From Ontario
Joshschneids

Post by Joshschneids »

Wind Charger Mike wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:53 am I think it’s a great idea. I could list you as a supplier on Wincharger.com. Covering every Wincharger model would be a daunting task since they made over 100 different models, around 20 of those being 6V machines. I’d start with the early models, 36-39 which were Delco Remy. After 1939, they switched to Autolite. The 7-1/2” frame HD generators were mfg by Wincharger.

Thanks Mike. That leads me to another question, Do you have a page that shows all the different models made? I'd love to be able to scroll through and compare them. I have always heard them referred to as a model 39 etc. But never found a way to decode what i have.

Josh
Josh From Ontario
Wind Charger Mike

Post by Wind Charger Mike »

Good question and the answer is I’m working on a Wincharger ID guide with descriptions and pictures of every model. In the meantime the link below includes the more common 6v Wincharger machines with pics of each. Those probably make up 95% of the 6v Wincharger models. The others include variations that were sold by others, heavy duty models, Streamliners and the ultra rare hi-way chargers. The second link is a tail vane ID guide for all pre-REA wind chargers…needs updating but it has most if not all of the Wincharger tail shapes. Also working on a 6V tower id guide. The 6v Wincharger tower design changed every yr in the 30s.

https://wincharger.com/index.php/photos ... ger-models

https://wincharger.com/index.php/resour ... e-id-guide
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Mike , what do you do to fill your spare time ? looks like a daunting task to track & update that volumn of information , thanks for doing that !