Help with mill id

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
TdcJD

Help with mill id

Post by TdcJD »

Hello all, I just saw this mill for sale near me. Seems to be an open geared with a tail vane and also a counter weight. Hard to tell in the picture, but to me looks like the counter weight was some custom job and not original. But what do y'all think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Re: Help with mill id

Post by windybob »

Looks a lot like an an Elgin Tiptop to me. Altho guides rods and crosshead missing?
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
TdcJD

Post by TdcJD »

I think you are correct. Not many pictures online of a tip top, not even in the field guide. But the ones I found indeed do look alot like it. It also appears this same one that was discussed here last year that was for sale in Buda. Definitely looks like crosshead assembly is missing, I suppose it could still be a spinner though. Hmmm, do I need yet another one before I've finished any of my others... :lol:
windybob

Post by windybob »

I have one, but I think they made a couple different types. Wood bearings, with tails that go down into a sump holding oil, that way they can soak and wick up the oil. A predessesor to the first self oiling mill. Elgin was the first, in 1912. TipTops were before that time, as they experimented exaustively with oiling windmills. Also, the crossheads were hollow, and those were filled with oil, to slowly seep out to lube the guide rods.

You might get it anyway if you can. Those are getting pretty scarce.
TdcJD

Post by TdcJD »

I see, that's pretty interesting there are many different versions of the same mill. I know the museum at the trade fair has one that is wooden wheel and tail, very nice looking mill. I'll see if I can get him to come down a little on price, not sure if I feel like spending $500 right now hahaha
windybob

Post by windybob »

Easy there pardner. LOL Many is different than a couple. I know of 2 kinds. ;)
TdcJD

Post by TdcJD »

Oh okay haha. I wonder how difficult finding a crosshead would be. Or possibly making one from scratch that would function close to the original.. hmm
windybob

Post by windybob »

That may depend on which one you have. (or are getting) I'm pretty sure I have pictures somewhere. Will look for them. My TipTop is in a trailer, very hard to view in there.
TdcJD

Post by TdcJD »

True. Well if I hear back from the seller I'll try to go look at it Wednesday. It's funny, the town it's located in is Elgin tx! The more I talk about it the more I want it lol
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Someone has that infectious BUG!!