Help with mill id

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
windybob

Re: Help with mill id

Post by windybob »

They are available. I would certainly get one. We carry at least 2 on the truck.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Bob would you post a picture of your punch and does it take different size punch bits also does harbor freight sell them. Thanks!!
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

eBay is a good source for a punch. I’ve broken and worn out a lot of drill bits, but i’ve only broken one punch due to a poor decision.

I have a couple of punches and while the Baker tower punch serves it purpose, my go-to is a Roper Whitney #10. I also have a #12 which does thicker metal and has a wide reach with the same interchangeable punch/dies as a #10. I have to take the handles off the #10 and put them on the #12 as I only have one set of handles. Both are portable or can be bench mounted, just the #12 is heavier, so it is used a lot less. I’m sure there are better ones out there
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

PaulV
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Thanks guys time to modernize still drilling holes the old way.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Paul , thank you for knowing how to moveinfo from one section to another , :geek:
TdcJD

Post by TdcJD »

Well I guess I'll definitely keep an eye on eBay for a punch now, seems quite necessary for this hobby haha. Hopefully I can find one before I have to start building my towers. Also is there a special punch for making a hole right in the corner of the angle iron? I'll have to make some holes there for a couple stub towers I'll be building
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

As far as corner holes in right angle, there is no punch that I’m aware of or could potentially afford. I sure they make one, but I make so few corner holes compared to regular holes in angle iron.

I’ve had good luck from the advice of others on here by creating a flat spot by a grinder on the outside of the angle iron corner and then using a step drill bit. I practiced beforehand and experimented on scrap. Starting from the inside of the angle iron, the holes generally wouldn’t end up exactly where I wanted them to. So starting from the outside of the angle iron is my preferred starting position. There is probably a thread on this subject.

If you are looking on eBay and are remotely considering a Roper Whitney #10, one with a ratcheting handle is nice. A #12 is generally overkill because of its weight. They make a full line of punch/dies.

As far as the Baker punch, it is compact and you can use an impact driver or round stock length of your choosing. It works well, just not my go-to punch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TdcJD

Post by TdcJD »

Ooohhh I didn't think about that. Using an angle grinder, that should work good enough. Thank you! Haha. Oh I feel like Id definitely want the racheting one, how much do they tend to go for?
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

An angle grinder to create a flat spot and then a step drill bit. Harbor Freight step bits should work fine. I imagine you could angle grind all the way through it. I’m just not sure how well it would turn out round-wise.

If you watch on EBay, Facebook marketplace or Craigslist, you can sometimes get lucky on a punch.

I think the #10 w/ ratcheting top handle was a little over $100. It came with a smaller punch/die, so I ended up looking on eBay and purchasing a 3/8”. The seller just happened to be local, so we met up for the exchange and avoided shipping costs.

The #12, I ended up purchasing two (in a lot on eBay) and combined the best parts from each into one. Think the #12 was $79 off of ebay. Again that was for two #12s “as is” with no handles and thus why I have to switch handles between the #10 to the #12. I only purchased the #12 for larger/thicker angle iron for say my Axtell windmill towers. The plus side, is the dies/punches are interchangeable between the #10 and #12.

If I had to climb a tower with a punch, and as a hobbyist, I don’t typically, I’d take the Baker punch up a tower.

Others can provide their perspective.