Elgin Tip Top

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
TdcJD

Re: Elgin Tip Top

Post by TdcJD »

Windy, I'm also a fan of your painting choices haha
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

When it's yours, you can paint it any color you want. When it's theirs they can do the same.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I have 2 different color schemes. On several, I have original colors. Then there are the others which have identified themselves as cartoons. lol When I show them, peole like the different parts colors. Many ask if that's the original paint colors, I say no and tell them the reason why I did that. When you show them head high, everyone can see them working and then the stories start to fly.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Thumps Up To Windy!
TdcJD

Post by TdcJD »

Windy, would you happen to have measurements of the wood pitman arms? And would you be able to get measurements on the guide rod whenever you have the chance?
windybob

Post by windybob »

Maybe tomorrow I can get down there to see. Does it have 2 guide rods? I forget.
TdcJD

Post by TdcJD »

I'm pretty sure it's just one steel rod that's bent into a "U". I would think that would be pretty easy to copy. In theory... Haha
windybob

Post by windybob »

The mill is stored in a trailer amongst a half dozen others. Could barely reach it with a pole and tape measure! LOL It's 14 inches to the hoop top, from the base where the hoop goes into the case opening. The pitmans were hopeless to measure with the taped tape on the stick. However, they are 1X 2 oak. The holes are far enough apart to not hit the bottom when on the down, and not hit the hooptop on the upstroke. That should be easy to figure out when you get that far.
TdcJD

Post by TdcJD »

Thank you! That's the important measurement. Everything else I can figure out. Hard part is going to be how to bend the steel rod smooth and evenly.

And you keep your poor mills locked up on a trailer!! Those poor things, starved of wind! :lol:
windybob

Post by windybob »

LOL They are not locked up. They are in a trailer specially designed to haul mills to shows. Some are in there, some are not. Not room enough for all of them. Starved of wind? LOL that's a good one!