Elgin Tip Top

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
TdcJD

Elgin Tip Top

Post by TdcJD »

Well here I am starting yet another projects thread haha.
I got the tip top mostly disassembled. The rear bearings and crank gears bearings came out in mostly one piece and could probably be reused if I had to. I was NOT expecting to see how big the piece of wood is that reaches into the crankcase! However the front main shaft bearing was akin to 3 year old mulch held in by asphalt tar and had to be dug out with a screw driver. Hardly anything left of it. Does anyone have a diagram of the dimensions of the wood bearings?
windybob

Re: Elgin Tip Top

Post by windybob »

I wish I did. There was enough left of mine to make a resonable copy. If I remember, one of mine was toast also. I just used one I had to make a copy, then tweak that for the other. I don't think they are the same. I found it important to run the grain verticle insted of horizontal. The oil should wick easier up the grain, than across it. Plus the weight of the mainshaft on the endgrain will wear longer than the other way. If you can, notice which way the grain runs in your better bearing.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

photo graph , photograph , photograph , Thomas , do as I say , not as I do , i failed to photograph dissassembly of the Dempster and now regret that , dont be like me , take photos . unless you can remember all the wisdom that is shared by these sage windmillers .
TdcJD

Post by TdcJD »

That's probably what I'll have to do as well then. The grain runs vertical on the old bearings. There was also metal plates tacked to the sides of most of the bearings, maybe to hold them together...
TdcJD

Post by TdcJD »

I know I know Mike! Haha. Here ya go
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

What I may have done is pour babbltt for the snout. Not seen by most. So ,I cheat. LOL After making wood bearings for my Currie, and TipTop, sometimes the easy way works better for me. Also, wood pitmans and wood pitman bearings are needed in old mills. I think I may have used ash. Maybe Oak. There was a cabinet maker in town, a good place for hardwood pieces. There are not worker mills anyway, but show real nice with varnished wood that shows.
Your TipTop is in SO much better shape than mine was!
tiptop 1.jpg
tip top.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Thomas , the photos are not for me , they are for you when reassmbly starts , and the memory of how it all goes back together again ,

Windy , love that easter egg color on your windmills !!!
TdcJD

Post by TdcJD »

It looks like this mill was turned off instead of being left to run without oil. The pullout assembly stuck in the off position so it's been not turning for some time. Im guessing the damage to the tail and wheel happened when the mill was taken down.

Good point Mike, I have been in that situation. But likely this thing has like maybe 7 parts to it haha
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I like the different colors Windy. Easy to see how things work together. When everything is black hard to see the working parts.
windybob

Post by windybob »

That is exactly why I did that Wayne. When i used to take these to show, people really liked that aspect. PLus, it doesn't bother me to be made fun of. Cartoon colors. LOL