FM Eclipse found today. Model? Worth getting?

......when you need to get in the weeds.
DennisT

FM Eclipse found today. Model? Worth getting?

Post by DennisT »

While I work at getting my Samson S hub broke loose, I chased down another windmill lead today just a couple miles from home. See photos. Obviously an FM Eclipse and not a big one. Fan/sail sections are near perfect. Vane nice. Tower parts are still bundled from transporting in from another State many ears ago. Comes with what is in the photos, fan, vane, bundle of tower parts and Myer pump. All stored inside. Began talking $500, but no decision until we could get the hood off. Well, it's off. Packed full of mice nests. I hate that. Looks pretty rough. Not sure the head can be saved. Anyone know what model FM this is? Vintage/age? Babbitt bearings I presume??????? How tough are these to deal with?? Disassembly in the rusty state it's in??
Only parts I can't find is tail BONE, unless it is just a couple pieces of angle iron.
I'd love to get it going but worry about fair value/price and a gearbox nightmare.
Thoughts please.....
Dennis in E WA state
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CTXmiller

Re: FM Eclipse found today. Model? Worth getting?

Post by CTXmiller »

Thinking a model 45. I don’t know much about the bearings or that model, but I’d imagine it would clean up well. No tail pin wear, gears looks great wear-wise. Tower hardware looks to be present. Could be a new old stock.
Last edited by CTXmiller on Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

PS: fan consists of 6 sections of 4 blades each
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

The steel eclipse was manufactured from the 1920s to the 1950s originally by F.M and then through the years by different companies and different models for F.M. I think if you pressure washed the gear box it would clean up pretty good I've dealt with mice nests before. Then you can get a better idea of the condition and settled on a price. Nice Find !!
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Dennis , sure looks like a good keeper to me , as Michael said , gears show no wear , my guess it was just a nice house for the field mice to live in .
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

That's not a Steel Eclipse. It's the Model 45 also called the Mailbox because of the hood. Was made for Fairbanks by Woodmanse Mfg. The Steel Eclipse is the WG worm gear model. The mailbox was built 1945 until the early 1950's. Woodmanse sold their own Model 45 only difference is the tailbone and hood.
windybob

Post by windybob »

That really is called a Eclipse, but the name from F/M just keeps it in the Eclipse (name only) family. F/M used the name Eclipse for ever and got more mileage out of it than anyone could ever imagine. No matter what the mill was, or who it was from, they stuck the name Eclipse on it to make it sell.

There wer 2 of those, one with the helmet turned that way, and another called Woodmanse model 45 with the helmet turned the other way. That's what the windmill bible says. The tails were different on each.

Wayne, you are correct, however just a bit mistaken on the name thing. It is very confusing anyway. WG mills are also Eclipse mills, yes.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
windybob

Post by windybob »

The mice in the mill I think have done you a great favor. Maybe a good reason the talk the mill down in price. BUY THE MILL! Good luck!
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Our number one goal on this forum is to confuse everyone. Please let us know how we are doing in the comment section below. Thanks
windybob

Post by windybob »

Sure seems that way sometimes. Windmill history is indeed confusing at times. When it came to patents, lawsuits, relatives, and ideas, it's a wonder anyone can follow some of the history. There are overlaps, copycats, bankrupcies and business re-starts, the way companies were run, from competition to outright theft, buyouts, and aquisitions were all parts of the history of mills. Court cases, strikes, or company parties were also included. If you like the History Channel shows The Men Who made America or Built America, then we can only dream of having the same kind of documentary about the windmill business from the start to the present day.

Thanks to Mr Baker for teaching us a lot of the history. We should all be thankful that he did most of the hard work, for our learning and enjoyment.