FM Eclipse found today. Model? Worth getting?

......when you need to get in the weeds.
windybob

Re: FM Eclipse found today. Model? Worth getting?

Post by windybob »

hope it works out!
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

Actually, I agree too. I almost never do that. And I considered NOT posting the photo because it might suggest an unwise procedure. But I couldn't get a straight line with that saddle to try to move it. I did tap a Fir 2x4 against it, but could only get at it on an angle. Didn't like using that angle. Hence, the jack. All I did with the jack was to come up snug and then add a slight tension/pressure. After the heat, I pulled slightly on the little 4" jack handle and it came free easily.
Next, again, I'm not sure what to do to get the main shaft to rotate. I'm considering suspending the mill nose down, then filling the inside of the case where the cavity extends toward the nose with diesel mixed with ATF. Let it sit a day or two. That would be putting lubricant toward the nose bearing and shaft by using the same path the windmill uses in operation.
Thoughts?
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Dennis , thanks for posting that jack photo , almost without exception we have all done something unsafe ..........
I have never had rusty frozen parts free up in a day or two , usually a week or two , patience .
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Dennis you shouldn't have to suspend the mill. Just fill with diesel and a can of P.B.Blaster and walk away from it for a week or so.Patience is the key to success.
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

Thanks. Right now, the main case is horizontal, so everything would run out. I'll just raise it enough so fluid covers the stuff that moves. That week idea is a good one. I have a 1925 Fairbanks 3hp hopper cooled, "Z", engine that a neighbor had sitting outside, upside down in the mud, (so it wouldn't freeze the water hopper), for years. I took it home and it took me a year and a half to get the piston unstuck. Bore, piston and rings still usable!! Now if I can find the ignition/fuel parts that are missing.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Dennis, mine was impossible to get apart, the Hyatts were fully rusted toast and had it pretty much rusted together. I really hope yours is not that bad.

Fairbanks 45 bearings.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Oh and I may have answered your prayers with the info I posted for you. From what you said, anyway.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Bob please get that mill off the ground and in the shop or I'm calling the windmill police.
windybob

Post by windybob »

omg that means everything else here that;s illegal will need to be taken care of. That's a huge chore.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Dan , dont share my address with the windmill police