FM Eclipse found today. Model? Worth getting?

......when you need to get in the weeds.
DennisT

Re: FM Eclipse found today. Model? Worth getting?

Post by DennisT »

Began unloading. 'Kinda hated to open up the NOS tower bundles, but I figured they needed cleaning up after all these years. So here are a few photos of what I found. First 10' bundle had a crumpled up wad of paper in it too. Instructions. Enough there to be interesting and already answered a couple questions. NO indication of who made the tower. ?????? Enough is now untangled I can lift the mill out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

I believe that is a woodmanse tower. That is a great find!!
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

Got the truck unloaded yesterday. So here are photos of what I have after I did a first brush, scrub, air nozzle, vacuum and wet-down with PB Blaster. If I can get photo order right, it's the last photo that concerns me. A lot of rust mini-scaling. I've got a fresh supply coming of emery cloth rolls. I've had reasonable luck with cutting off several inches and looping it around rods and doing a see-saw sanding. Unless others have a better idea. Work to do here. How much wear do you think is on these gears?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Dennis i don't see any wear i believe that mill is new old stock just rust from many years of laying around my 27 had surface rust also. She's looking good !!
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

I tend to agree. I wish I had assembly documentation, especially for what I think I see, (tube), as an oil pump. Having gotten no tailbone, I suspect I have some missing springing at the tailbone pivot as well. I'm making no attempt whatsoever to get any of it to, "move," until I work a lot on the rusted rods/sliding parts. Interestingly, so far, on the main case, I've found zero casting numbers or maker's identification.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Interesting , the top bar casting that stiffens the guide rods & hold the helmet on looks identical to the part on the Dempster #12 I am presently working on .
Dennis , your on the right path on reserecting that special NOS piece , but , dont worry about making the inside a musuem piece , the gears & bearing are the important parts & they are perfect .
thats my opinion & i'm sticking with it .
Mike B
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

With pitman arms off, I'll move back here to continue my original post. Got the saddle, (if that's the right word), off today. Used a very small bottle jack to get even pressure. Only applied a snug pressure with it, then used simple hand propane torch to heat saddle. Slightly more pressure and, "snick," it moved. After that it came easily. Confirms it is a Babbitt sleeve bearing in there. I'm thinking the steel rods may not have to come out at all. ????? Next is to get the hub to turn to a point where the pinion gears reveal their cross pins, (if they have them). Lindsay Bible says they are firmly keyed in place. ????? Still praying for photos.docs of the main shaft arrangement as I have no idea what I'm dealing with in there.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Dennis you're not planning on removing the pinions are you? There's really no reason to from what I can see.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

It scares me to death to see a 4 thousand pound hydrolic jack pushing against cast iron , cast iron is strong but fragile . I have broken more cast iron than necessary . Glad it worked for you on the beautiful mill motor
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I agree Mike.