FM Eclipse found today. Model? Worth getting?

......when you need to get in the weeds.
CTXmiller

Re: FM Eclipse found today. Model? Worth getting?

Post by CTXmiller »

I’d be inclined to say it is 10’ in diameter.
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

Really!!!! That surprises me. You would probably know better than I at this point. I've found no markings so far, but have yet to turn over the head assembly and look under it. I did find one separate bracket with a roller wire-tied to the main case with casting number, "10-AA-16." I suspect it is part of the pull out/brake mechanism. Reading your comment, perhaps the, "10," means 10-foot. When I get the fan home I can lay them all out and that might help.
I do enjoy playing detective on all this.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Yes That would be the correct vane stem for your Model 45.
AT-Mills

Post by AT-Mills »

I have quite a bit of pictures of eclipse style Mills. From what I understand 10 foot was the most common. I have an eclipse part sheet that might be helpful. If you take a measuring tape and measure across the top of the pivot, casting, if it is a 8 1/2 foot it should be about 10 1/2 inches. Once the patent expired on the eclipse style, there were a lot of companies that made identical or close to identical mills. On a sidenote, if you’re going to restore it, I have all the measurements to create the wooden pieces. I’ve been working on a 3-D model to 3-D print. I took the original measurements from the wind power center in Lubbock, Texas.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

This is good. So it's settled on tailbone i.d. Now I have to look for that permanently factory assembled unit. No sign of it so far where the mill is stored.
AT: thank you for the parts list, although the parts illustrations all look different from my 45. You mention wood pieces, but I didn't think my 45 used any wood. ???????
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

AT Mills are you familiar with the FM wooden eclipse they recently restored in Brimfeild Mass. Really nice job, beautiful mill.
AT-Mills

Post by AT-Mills »

You’re right. I’m working on an older model. Here is the sample picture of what I’m trying re-create in a 8 to 1 scaled 3-D print.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AT-Mills

Post by AT-Mills »

Windcatcher530 Dan, I did not know about the FM wooden eclipse in Brimfield Mass. i’m just 62 miles away., thank you for the info. I may drive over there and take a look.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Dennis, the original Eclipse was the wooden model. As I was saying earlier, F/M was so successful with the Eclipse name, they named their mills Eclipse, because, like they say, "the name sells". You have no wood on yours. You should get the windmill bible book. Loaded with information. Also, your tailbone should closely resemble the Samson Air-Flow tailbone. Not sure if it's a direct interchange, but made similar, with welded joints.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
AT-Mills

Post by AT-Mills »

Windcatcher530 Dan, I found the facebook site for the Brimfield Mass restoration project for the FM wooden eclipse . Thanks again.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100069276923438