FM Eclipse found today. Model? Worth getting?

......when you need to get in the weeds.
DennisT

Re: FM Eclipse found today. Model? Worth getting?

Post by DennisT »

Update, (although not much....) I try to not bother folks too often, and I think Dan Benjamin is kept really busy. We did catch each other last week by telephone about my FM 45. I then sent him photos and a list of what I have missing. He almost instantly emailed back telling me my 8-foot FM was really a 10-foot FM. I think that's one of the things I like about Dan; he has a quick mind and is spot-on with information!! So in spite of all of us thinking 8-foot, it's a confirmed 10 now. And according to Dan, that is a bigger problem because he doesn't think he has that many parts for a 10. Sigh. He's now looking to see he can find. My biggest problem is that I have NONE of the trappings that are contained by and in the tailbone pivot pin. (2 springs, a couple of castings, a J-bolt, etc.) If he can't find a tailbone, I suppose one can be fabricated if I can find drawings and dimensions. He may have the 2 fan spokes I'm missing. So we'll see. On the other front, I'm still trying to get the gearcase free and gears turning.
WINDY......you put up a photo, (above), of your Hyatt bearing, "pieces." "Impossible to get apart, you said. So...how did you get your FM disassembled and what did you do for replacement bearings??????? Dan says replacement Hyatt's are not available, (no surprise).
windybob

Post by windybob »

I did not get it dissasembled without major damage. I got some full circle brass from McMaster.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

Thanks, Windy. So your, "45," is again operating, but only after a lot of headaches and having had to press in brass sleeve bearings. I intend to continue on trying to get mine unstuck. If it takes 6 months. etc., ..... OK. If it won't unstick, I'll take it to someone who can get rougher with it than I'm able to. I always seem to pick the rusty, orphan projects that give me misery.
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

Thanks, Windy. So your, "45," is again operating, but only after a lot of headaches and having had to press in brass sleeve bearings. I intend to continue on trying to get mine unstuck. If it takes 6 months. etc., ..... OK. If it won't unstick, I'll take it to someone who can get rougher with it than I'm able to. I always seem to pick the rusty, orphan projects that give me misery.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Dennis, sorry to report that mine is still on the floor in pieces. Have all the stuff to put it together, just have not gotten to it yet. A little embarrasing, but I just can't do what I used to. I have several to work on. Really hoping that this summer I can get the shop in order to start again.
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

Thanks again, Windy. Well, I can't do what I used to either; so we're the same. Ha. I hope my 45 doesn't stall out long enough that I'll have to find another mil to work on while I'm waiting. Or, ..... maybe that would be good............
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Dennis , dont over think that delema , you could end up with a "windmill farm " which keeps growing like several others had grown . :o
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

I knew from the beginning that I'd need to figure on this taking a long time. And encouragements here to continue, "patience," was certainly timely. I've been trying to, "un-stick," this 45 and get it turning over since last December. No luck Yesterday, Hugh, my experienced windmill friend from Spokane was here with his son to pick up some Aermotor parts I'd found for them. His son is mid-late 40's and pretty robust. Moved some heavy stuff quickly. So I have my FM 45 carefully laying on wood blocks on the floor....still stuck. He raised up the spider end a little by it's cast spoke attachments, and began briskly shaking it left and right a few times. Then he say, "see.....it turns."
GREAT SCOTT!!!!! He freed it! By hand! Got it moving back and forth about a quarter turn.
Last night I kept working it more and more, revealing more heretofore hidden gear teeth that still had mouse junk in them. That, wire wheel, lube, and now it turns over fully. Just now I found that if I give a spider lobe a good, quick pull it will complete second half of rotation on it's own. It is still stiff, I'll say that. Bur NO noises. And remembering that this is a new NOS mill, it's never been broken in, in all these years.
WINDY, I was worried my Hyatt bearing would be like yours. Not that it still might fail, but so far, I'm just thrilled to get it moving, quietly. Now if our boys will ever have time to bring over a work stand for it, I'll get it vertical and begin cycling thin lube oil changes in it.
It was a good day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Congratulations
windybob

Post by windybob »

Glad it decided to cooperate. Good deal!