A windmill I just took down. What brand s it?

Have a part you can't identify? Did your parts get mixed up in the shop? Curious if that chunk of metal is a part you should keep? Not sure what kind of windmill or tower you have? Post photos of the mystery object here for the community to help identify.
CTXmiller

Re: A windmill I just took down. What brand s it?

Post by CTXmiller »

I’m now leaning more towards a FM #45
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Is it 10’ in diameter?
windybob

Post by windybob »

It does look a lot like the Woodmanse Airmaster. I see the tailbone is bent up, so I'm not sure how it is mated to the tail sheet. But I think CTXmiller is right. Don't throw anything away. Everything that's bent up can be straightened. It's either an Airmaster, or a Model 45, either Woodmanse model, or Fairbanks Morse. ( same mill, different tail). At this point it does not look like an Airmaster tail, but it's a bit messed up, so it's not clear.

Never the less, it can be taken apart, and restored and made to work again. Do you have the helmet? ( galvanized cover for the head)
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
windybob

Post by windybob »

If it's a Model 45, it was made from 1945 until the late 50's. It was the last model made by the Woodmanse company.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
randallbostick

Post by randallbostick »

Maybe a Fairbanks-Morse model 45 with 10 ft head? It does have 10 ft head. No helmet so I need to find one. I will definitely keep and repair everything I can. I may build a new tower.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Another one saved !! Thanks Randell.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Randall , you are lucky to have such a master windmill builder so close to you , Michael lives within 15 miles of you , he is a great resource , does beautiful restoration work , he is willing to share his expertice& advice .
as he stated earlier , save every part / thing & take photos of the mill before dissembly , it will come in handy after a year or two when starting to reassemble .
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Mike - Thanks for the kind words. However, I’m most often on the dummy end of a tape measure :D .

Randall - I guess I didn’t see the Waco part earlier. There are a variety of different windmills around Waco and surrounding areas with the overwhelming majority being Aermotor, followed by Baker and then Dempster. Some Flint & Walling windmills as well, followed by isolated surviving other windmill manufacturers (Stover, Fairbanks-Morse, Heller-Aller, Elgin, etc).

For parts for your Fairbanks-Morse, you might try Steve Adams in Granbury. Steve has a variety of parts and his phone # can be found on the forum.

For your tower, if you opt to build one, Metals2go in Hewitt is where I typically purchase my galvanized angle iron from. They generally don’t carry any in stock, but send off what you purchase to the galvanizer and it usually takes about 2 weeks.

If I can be of any assistance, feel free to reach out via the private messenger on the forum.

Michael
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Michael i believe Steve also has towers and pieces he could help with.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Randall,

I see what appears to be a similar windmill to yours for sale along with other parts in Salado on MarketPlace. It looks in fairly sad shape (i.e. the gearbox), but you never know if there is a bonnet and/or other useable parts. Photos from the MarketPlace.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.