Dempster Aunu-Oiled Rebuild

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Wildcat

Dempster Aunu-Oiled Rebuild

Post by Wildcat »

I recently took down my 40' tower with an 8' #12 annu-oiled Dempster head and would like to get it working again. I've started disassembling the head but it is frozen up and I can't proceed any further without concerns I'll break something. I've tried using penetrating oil with no success. Would soaking the entire head in penetrating oil be the best approach? I would take it to someone and have them re-build it if I could find someone in my central Kansas area who could do this for me. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
PaulV
Site Admin

Re: Dempster Aunu-Oiled Rebuild

Post by PaulV »

Welcome to the forum. Soaking in diesel and ATF has worked for me. Other's have their preferred elixir. Be patient. It might take many weeks of soaking before things start to move.

Lots of folks with Dempster experience on here. Post a few pics of what you have.
PaulV
windybob

Post by windybob »

A good start would be to cut the crosshead/ pitman arm pin between the arm and yoke. then attempt to get the crosshead tie off after soaking it, and taking out the setscrews, usually by tapping under it with hammer. once that is done, unscrew the guide rods out of the case. the guide rods are not usually frozen to the crosshead too bad due to the babbitt in the crosshead, if the guide rods turn, then you can take the bolt out of the big gear holder and the big gears should lift out. The reason for this order is because many times the top items in the case rust together and freeze up the whole head. Getting the upper items out should free up the mainshaft quite a bit.

Yes, if you can post some pictures, we can tell the approximate year of the head. Take pictures, make notes, and use as much penetrating oil as you need. Take your time, and tap around to help the oil soak in. I have posted many times, procedures to help on Dempster mills.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Bill welcome aboard , take a look at the blog " another one " which starts just below the line you started , it tells some of the story of the Dempster #12 that is in the process of rebuild , it takes time , lots of time , lots & lots of time , take photos before dissembly as you will need reassembly guidance , save every part and ask questions , there are some really great craftsmen on this site and they do share their experiences willingly .
hopefully you will enjoy this restoration journey .
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Alright starting the New Year off great. Another one saved from the grave. Thank you !!!
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Dan , they are like puppies , we can't save them all but we keep trying .
Wildcat

Post by Wildcat »

Thanks guys for the info. I do plan on taking my time and I have been taking detailed photos before I remove any parts. I'll send some photos later today.
Wildcat

Post by Wildcat »

Can anyone tell me how to attach photos?
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Bill , when you fill out the quick reply , the small box under the big box states Full Editor , click on that which opens up the "add " section , add photos there , press submit to publish
Wildcat

Post by Wildcat »

I've attached a file with several photos. Let me know wheat you think. Thanks.

*** edited by PaulV - posted pics from the originally uploaded Word doc. ***

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg
14.jpg
15.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.