Josephine from Utah with a Jacobs to sell or?

For New Members. Tell us about yourself.
hwy8

Re: Josephine from Utah with a Jacobs to sell or?

Post by hwy8 »

Thanks for the additional photos and all of your efforts! I am completely intrigued by the tail vane! First of all, I'm acquainted with a lot of 32v Jacobs stuff so I can easily say that "there is a lot of mystery here!". Your newest pictures clearly show that a stencil has been used, which to me would indicate that someone had "multiples" in mind. It is also becoming increasingly clear that this was not an amateur "jazzing up" his wind machine. It might be possible that I have a Jacobs brochure with some unusual graphics and I'll be checking this weekend.

Now, something about its value; I've been a historian all of my life and in this case, I'm somewhat embarrassed to say that I've been an antique dealer for forty+years. The reason for that embarrassment is how many, many, dealers are stripping out the "decorative" parts and leaving behind "all of the rest". As far as I'm concerned, it is the same as killing an elephant only for its ivory. (In my own defense, I'm in it for the history, not the money.)

All of that said, in my experience, the market value of your Jacobs can be broken down into categories such as, "mechanical/power production", "historical/rarity", and the "glitz/decorative" part of this. In the 1970's, I was part of the "back-to-the-land" movement and my first wind generator was a 1940's Allied with a blade-actuated governor. Its baseline value was partly because of its "ability"; It was in virtually new condition so "out of the box" it could power 15-100watt light bulbs. Just like today, it didn't take long to find "the going rate": A good many of us could help you on that. BUT, also, I bet every one of us can tell you how and why the machines we restore have more value than just pumping water. In your case, experienced people are "amazed" at what you have. For that historical value, I would add at least 1/3 to the price tag. As you learn more, or find sales brochures, etc. the value goes up. And finally, in regard to killing the elephant and taking only the tusks: I hate to say it, but you would get MANY offers on the tail alone. It would not be unusual here (St. Paul, MN) to see a retail price tag of $1500+ for ONLY the tail vane....a national auction, who knows? Personally, I would double its base price.

And finally, what you have is a commodity: How many exist? Who wants it, and how bad? And, from personal experience, when does the rent come due or how generous are you able to be? (which is none of my business!) If anyone would ask, I would never break up the package or piece it out!

If you wish to pm me, feel free.
Burt
MsJo

Post by MsJo »

Hi Burt, Thank you for all of that information!. We definitely want it to go to a museum, assuming everyone is right about its historical value. We have accidentally been given a potentially historically significant artifact, we have a duty to look into it, and to preserve it if it is. And that is where the work of all the kind people on this board, you and Mike come in. Helping us figure out what we have!
MsJo

Post by MsJo »

All of the pictures are downloadable for free now.
hwy8

Post by hwy8 »

Good work Josephine!

I would definitely use Mike's expertise and his contacts at the museum. He might also be able to suggest some business folks to give you a solid appraisal for taxes in case donation is a possibility. You'll at least get an idea what is involved.

In the meantime, I'm studying your photos and planning to make a full size copy of the tail vane! I need a nice piece of artwork for the workshop wall..

Feel free to contact me if there's anything else I can do.

Burt
MsJo

Post by MsJo »

Thank you Burt, I am making full use of Mikes expertise, and then some. I feel like we landed in the hands of possibly the most knowledgeable and well connected person out there! We will keep the community informed.

Josephine