Early Dempster 10 Ft Windmill Project

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
maytag92

Early Dempster 10 Ft Windmill Project

Post by maytag92 »

This unit is located in Simi Valley Ca at our local Historical Museum , we think it is pre 1925, Main Shaft bushings are brass.
Can anyone tell me if the brake mechanism used a friction material or is metal to metal correct?
Secondly the main shaft is badly worn, are replacements available or possible a serviceable used one?

Thank You
windybob

Re: Early Dempster 10 Ft Windmill Project

Post by windybob »

I have a 1922 Dempster #12 model. I believe it is babbitt bearings. I'm thinking that in 1923 they used Hyatt bearings for a bit. Soon after that they went with Timken berings. No mention of brass. However, that is for the model #12. At that time, they still had open-gear mills on the market.
I have not seen a Dempster mill yet with a lined brake. All i've seen is metal to metal. The brake is not used to slow the mill, only to keep the wheel from turning when it's shut off. A machine shop can make a new mainshaft, or maybe Dan B has them.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Welcome maytag92!

Share a few pics of the mill. I'd like to see what you're working with.
PaulV
maytag92

Post by maytag92 »

Found out that our Dempster is a Model 16 Thank you , also we need a replacement main shaft ??, anything avail ?
windybob

Post by windybob »

I don't see anything about a model 16 anywhere. Never heard of one. Why do you think it's one of those? There is a Model 15, a direct stroke self oiling mill. Looks a lot like a model 12 from the ground.
Les Jacox

Post by Les Jacox »

We have a model 15 and 16. The 16 annu-oil is very similar to the model 12. The 15 came out in 1927-1941 and was a direct stroke. The 16 came out 1955-1960. Very few 16s were ever made and only 10 ft-ers were produced. Although there were plans to make it in 6 ft. and 8 ft., none were produced. The bearings in the model 16 were brass bushings instead of Timken. They also reduced the number of blades in the wheel. To identify them in the field, the 16 has a much taller helmet than the 12 or 15. The plan was for the 16 to replace the 12, but was not recieved well and was dropped. As far as replacing the shaft, a machine shop should have the standard cold-rolled material to make you a shaft. I think the brake is the same as on the 12.
Les
Les Jacox
Garland, NE
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Mystery Solved!
windybob

Post by windybob »

Wow, of course you can an 'old dog' new tricks. Every time you think you know just enough to get by, something else comes around the corner to surprise you. That's what I like about windmills. That's very interesting! I do know that there was a # 12-B, which was a newer, and slightly modified # 12. It had weldments for some hardware, instead of castings, and the snout bearing had a preload with a heavy spring behind the nose plate.

Thanks for that info!
Les Jacox

Post by Les Jacox »

The model 12b came out in 1982 and ran till 2009 when Dempster stopped making windmills. In Feb. 1981 Dempster came out with the diamond shaped vane to represent their logo. The design was not successful and was discontinued in 1983. Looking for an original diamond vane.
Les Jacox
Garland, NE
windybob

Post by windybob »

There is one east of Shattuck, north side of highway. I have one , of 4 that I located around here.