Joe Harper passing

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about things in general, in most cases.
Terry

Joe Harper passing

Post by Terry »

Donna called tonight and said the Joe passed away on Sunday.

OBITUARY: Francis J. (Joe) Harper

Francis J. (Joe) Harper, Jr., 87, died Sunday, February 4, 2024. He was born to Francis and Mildred (Wilson) Harper on February 5, 1936. He was a lifelong resident of the Sedgwick community.

He married Donna L Stewart on July 9, 1961, in Neosho, Missouri and they have resided in the Sedgwick area their entire married life. He was a lifetime member of the Sedgwick United Methodist Church (now Grace Fellowship) having active role in its men’s ministry. He also served in the US Army Reserves
Joe developed a love for agriculture early in life which led him to his lifetime passion for farming and ranching. He loved raising crops and cattle as well as an occasional patch of sweet potatoes and pumpkins. He also enjoyed poultry and spent many years taking a variety of birds and breeds to the Kansas State Fair. Joe most often had something in the incubator, anxiously waiting for the upcoming hatch.

Joe was creative from a very young age and shared his talents with many of his friends with his expressions of appreciation for them. He loved a challenge, to create something unique or restore something to its original form. He collected and restored many pieces of antique agriculture equipment over the years and had a passion for antique windmills, having one of the most unique collections in the country. Joe and Donna hosted two International Windmiller’s Trade Fair tours at their farm north of Sedgwick.

Joe is survived by his wife, Donna, and children Janelle (Don) Dolen and Frank (Mary) Harper, both of rural Sedgwick. Other family members include several grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

Friends may call from 2:00-8:00 pm, and visitation will be 6:30-8:00 pm, Thursday, February 8, 2024, at Kaufman Funeral Home, Halstead.
Funeral services will be 11:00, Friday, February 9, 2024, at Grace Fellowship Church, 600 N Commercial in Sedgwick.

A private family committal will be at Hillside Cemetery, Sedgwick.

Memorials may be made to Grace Fellowship Church or the Sedgwick Historical Society in care of Kaufman Funeral Home.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Re: Joe Harper passing

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

This is sure sad news.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

R. I. P. Joe
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I got to attend both the Trade Fairs at his place. Great Guy. I wonder if he ever got the Double-Header up. I remember the big Challenge 27 he had on his place.
Terry

Post by Terry »

Wayne
The double header never saw the light of day.
It is too rear to have outside.
Terry
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I know if anybody loves to read a good story about collecting a windmill they should read the story in Windmillers Gazette about Joe bringing it home.
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Wayne wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:52 am I know if anybody loves to read a good story about collecting a windmill they should read the story in Windmillers Gazette about Joe bringing it home.
Wayne,
Do you remember which issue has the story?
PaulV
Jim Corcoran

Post by Jim Corcoran »

Paul,
I found it in Winter 1989, vol. VIII, no. 1
Jim
" You need to get at least 30 miles out of Austin before you're firmly back in Texas."
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Jim Corcoran wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:51 pm Paul,
I found it in Winter 1989, vol. VIII, no. 1
Jim
Thank you Jim
PaulV
Kenneth

Post by Kenneth »

This is sad to hear. I remember the trade fair at his place. Nice collection of windmills.
Our thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Kenneth and Barbara Green