FM 45 pull out assembly: how does it work?

......when you need to get in the weeds.
DennisT

FM 45 pull out assembly: how does it work?

Post by DennisT »

While waiting to get a, "stand," built for my FM 45, so I can fill and soak the internals, I'm looking over bits a pieces. Can anyone tell me, or better....show a picture, of how the pull-out assembly works? (see photo) What do the two threaded rods attach to on the lower end? And is the 4-legged spider on the lower end also act as the lower support for the gearcase stub pipe? Ideally, it would be terrific if I could find a close up photo of a 45 mounted to a tower top so I could see how it's rigged and bolted. Thanks for any thoughts, Dennis
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Re: FM 45 pull out assembly: how does it work?

Post by windybob »

I'm not so sure that mine has the same system. The parts diagram does not show one like yours, altho I'm sure yours is original. I'm also sure of what slides, and does not slide. I'm thinking it's similar to a Monitor Pullout system, where you have a bail (your 2 rods) that pull down a swivel of some sort (at the top where your rods bend over) Some swivels are inside the neckpipe, some outside. The head needs needs to rotate, and the swivel stay in one place as the head rotates. Then the swivel (of sorts) would be connected to the tail. So, in essence what happens , is you pull the 2 rods down, (from the ground) and they stay in one place, except for up and down action. The rods pull on a swivel, that allows the head to rotate, but the swivel stays still with the rods. Then the swivel would be chained to the tail to pull it over.
That's what I'm thinking at the moment. Several types work this way, if not most of them. The swivel is the key component to break the head rotation to the ground. If you can study a Monitor pull system, you can understand better the differences. but the idea remains the same.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

Windy, thank you. I'm still trying to digest the concept. I just spend a couple hours on line, looking for the Monitor Pullout system you mentioned. couldn't get very far. I found a Monitor, "storm safe," brochure - a little help but not much. Still a lot of chin scratching right now.
windybob

Post by windybob »

OK, don't get your underware in all knotted up, once you understand the concept, it's not that bad. LOL Let me see what I can find.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Here is a exploded view of a Monitor, also showing the pull system. I will explain the theory later.

MonitorWCexplodedparts (1).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Ok, you have a wire attatched to pull 'bail' #79-A. there is a small hole in the center of the bottom of it. (wire not shown). Part #2 is part of the stormstay. There are holes in it that the bail arms go thru, to keep the bail from turning with the head. The top of the bail arms are bent over a bit. They fit into the 2 piece 319 swivel cup. It is a 2 piec item that clamps tight on the bemt over parts of the bail arms, so they do not slide up and down in the swivel cup.
( this might be slow and painful, but it took me FOREVER to understand and get my mind around the mill head turning, and the pullout wire not getting wrapped up around the pole.)
Ok. now we have hardware that is staying in one place, and not turning. Obviously, something has to turn, (rotate) because the head does, and something needs to rotate with it. You have a chain, #85 that comes down from the head pulleys. The bottom of the chain hooks to a brass swivel, #18. The bottom of the swivel cup #19 is chanelled out, for the brass to ride in. The tab on the swivel where the chain hooks to, using part #78 sticks up above the rim of the #19 cup. The #19 cup does not fit tight around the neckpipe, in fact it is loose enough to have room for the swivel to stick up thru it between the neckpipe, and the inside of the swivel cup. As the head rotates, the chain rotates with it, and rotates inside the swivel cup #19. The cup stays still and does not rotate. When pulling down on the handle (or crank) at the bottom, the wire pulls the bail, that pulls the cup, that pulls the brass swivel, that pulls the chain and hook, that pulls the tail over. Whether the pull system is under a load or not, the brass swivel under the cup can rotate with the head, and the cup and bail does not. This is the same principle that your mill works on I'mm pretty sure. Yours has rods instead of flat bail arms. I can help the explanation more if you need. But all pullouts or pullins work on the idea that something can rotate around a fixed point, whether it be in the center of the rotation, or outside the center of the rotation.
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

WHEW! Thank you for all the work on that explanation. I'm still fitting it together with my lash up. Beginning to make sense......somewhat. Let me try asking a few things using my photos to illustrate: First relates to me thinking I'm missing things. First photo is my mill just as I found it. After all these years, there was still a wire tying part of this together, (for original shipping I'm sure). I think I circled it in this photo. I think I'm missing whatever attaches to the lower, threaded ends of the 2 rods. After your post, I think I'm also missing your brass swivel. I would not doubt my mill was shipped with a, "small parts packet," that has disappeared long ago. I think the bottom, "spider," casting is the storm stay and also serves the purpose you mentioned of stopping the rods from rotating. That stay would require 4 rods or arms t allow one connection to each of the 4 tower irons, and would lock that plate in place serving as a rod guide for 3 rods, (one of them being the pump rod to well). And it would also be the second, "anchor," for the windmill's down pipe. Am I right?
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

PS: right blue circle shows the little wire tie still in place after all these years. Left, more rectangular blue loop is what I think is the multi-purpose storm stay and bottom, "anchor," holding the mill's down pipe in place in the tower. ??
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

Another view of what I got the day I picked up the mill. Whatever was supposed to attach to the threaded rods I did not get.
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

To finish up for the day, here are more photos. The photo that has another blue circle shows a welded on rod running along the down pipe. That would prevent the double collar, (the other 3 photos), from turning on the down pipe. That double collar probably could cross reference to one of your mentioned parts in your description, just FM's version of the same pull out principle. Notice how nice the parts cleaned up with just a few minutes of work with a 3/8" drill and wire brush. And the green seems to me to be the same paint as FM used on so many of it's hopper cooled, "one-lung," gas engines, of which I had a few once. The spray can paint cap is from Krylon Hunter Green. Seems close enough for me. ????