FM 45 pull out assembly: how does it work?

......when you need to get in the weeds.
windybob

Re: FM 45 pull out assembly: how does it work?

Post by windybob »

Give me some time to view this stuff. First quick point, the paint looks good, that's what I used. Second, I think your pullout rod is upside down, for shipping. The offset part at the top should be where your wire hooks to on the bottom. If there is a hole in the center part of the offset, then it is for sure upside down.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
windybob

Post by windybob »

In the meantime, here is a little exercise you can do to help understand the principal we are talking about. Take 2 washers, one big enough for your finger to go through easily, and a smaller one, that has a hole where your finger cannot go through, but fits snug. Put the larger one on top of the other, and stick your finger in the smaller one, under the bigger one. With the other hand, hold the bigger one from under it, holding the outside of it. The from the top side, your finger is tight in the smaller one underneath. Hold the large one from turning, anf turn the smaller one with your finger in it from the top. There ya go. The one your holding, is the stationary, and the one your turning, is the swivel.
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

Good exercise - I can see that. Thanks. Take your time on the photos. It is interesting that you suggested my rod pair might be upside-down. I've been combing every tid-bit of info I can find on-line. Some diagrams are on ebay for sale, (as we know), are intentionally only partially presented to the prospective buyer. I understand that; I'd probably do the same. However, as I pour over such things I pick up some little detail from time to time. One such observation seemed to show me that rod was inverted. I almost asked you, but have held back. Now that you've said it, I'm going to look hard at that possibility. BTW, the illustrations, etc.., you recently pointed me to are wonderful. Clear enough I can actually read and view an entire document. Thanks again.
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

Just went out and looked at that rod. There is NO hole in the, "loop," end.
Dennis
windybob

Post by windybob »

OK. The reason it would be the other way, is that the offset part would miss the pump rod, coming out of the head.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Ok, let me take this a piece at a time. In your pictures, there is a rod with a spring around it. This should be for the brake system, Like, maybe from back by the tail, to the brake arm by the shoe. The spring should be able to 'give' once the shoe is tight against the hub. Part of the broken parts of STOVER mills, is there is no spring to take up tension, so parts break. Just sayin.

On this picture, part with blue circle splits in 2 pieces, similar to the #19 cup on the Monitor mill. Black circle part has obvious ridge. If the blue circle part comes in 2, and has a slot in the inside, then I suspect it goes around the ridge and bolts back together, being loose when the bolts are snug. If that's the case, then you have your swivel set-up.

DSC_1146 ed.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

In this picture, what looks like a stormstay, is not one. I'm sure it bolts to the top or bottom the the real stormstay. There are bolt holes to do this, but no holes to use for a stay itself. The reason for the different holes is for 3 or 4 legged towers.

I have no idea yet what the flat bar is. Also, there should be some castings that the tailpin goes thru, like a buffer, and maybe an arm for the brake operation.
DSC_0885 - 1 ed.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

You are correct about the rod welded to the neckpipe, going thru the sleeve to enable it to turn with the mill head.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I see a couple of tabs that should , (in some way) match-up. The top of the turntable, and the head should be locked together via these tabs in some way. Like the Monitor head does, or something like that. Dempster has always lacked this feature, which was a mistake for a lot of years, I believe.

DSC_0776 -- 1 ED.jpg
DSC_0889 ed.jpg
windybob

Post by windybob »

I'm pretty sure that the part with the yellow circle is upside down, on the neckpipe. The circled area is for a pin to hold a chain, to go thru the pulley on the head to go to the tail hardware. It's possible, that the flat bar could be used to go from the sliding collar to the end of a chain, higher up, not sure. If it measures up, then fine, if not, then fine.

If this part is flipped, it would make sense, that the the chain hook would be up, and the swivel part would be down. They might have slid this whole mechanism up on the neck for shipping.

The round item looks to be a pumprod guid that would bolt through a hole in the bottom of the neckpipe.

DSC_1143 ed.jpg