Aeromotor Windmill Restoration... Where to start?

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
Runway

Aeromotor Windmill Restoration... Where to start?

Post by Runway »

Hi all! I am new to the world of windmill, but mechanically inclined and have done restorations of other projects in the past. A friend of mine recently purchased a property that had a pond and a water pumping windmill next to it. The windmill was non operational but he wants to get it back up and working/pumping. He figured the first step would be to get the windmill head down and get a look at what needs repaired. Unfortunately the person that got it down for him, cut it at the base due to some rusty bolts he couldnt break loose... That is when it got passed on to me to look into. It is an early Aeromotor 8ft model. From what I see on the spokes, it looks like a 602 model, but I see A612 casted on the side. Unfortunately I don't see anything about that model anywhere. This project is in it's infancy at this point, but I am trying to figure out if it is worth restoring, where to start, etc. Financially there isn't a concern, but I see you can buy these refurbished as well. Hoping this site can help me along the way through this! Thanks in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: Aeromotor Windmill Restoration... Where to start?

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Trevor your mill is kinda a rare mill. The 612 was made for just a short while and there isn't much info on them either. Im guessing the mast pipe that was cut is the same as a 602 other parts not sure. Hopefully someone on this forum can help. Welcome to the club.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Trevor , when you remove the cap , helmet , single nut with a cone shaped washer under , SAVE the parts , the large hoop the sheeve runs up & down on "may " have a flat spot on an upper corner , there may be numbers stamped onto this flat spot , send a photos of these numbers , please , it will tell a lot .
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Trevor , what part of Michigan are you in ?
My wife & I will be in the UP July& August , if you are close enough I would be glad to come take a look .
Mike B
New Braunfels TX
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Some background on the 612. The model 602 was built almost 10 years before the 612 was introduced in 1925. The 612 was pulled from production that same year introduced. Aermotor didnt keep any of the 612 changes and went back to producing the 602 as before for another almost 7 years. The 612 oiling system was its major weakness. If you do a google search or a forum search on Aermotor 612 spelled properly, you will get some basic info.

Your motor has obvious signs of being run dry of oil. This makes teardown difficult, requires most all bearing and shaft replacement and often case casting repairs. This coupled with the flawed 612 oiling setup and the requirement for a functioning pumping windmill makes a swap in of a 602 or 702 motor the most feasible. The fan and tail will transfer over to a 602/702. Your single rivet wheel was produced up until 1930 . I cant see enough of the tail bone to see if it is a true 612 bone.

The 612 is a desirable collectible windmill to collectors but not to functional users. There would be a market for it.

Here are your options if you do a motor swap ranked with the most functionally desirable first:

1) 702 motor with a 723 hub (V spokes will transfer)
2) 702 motor with a 703 hub and thread in spoke set
3) later 602 motor with 2 stroke main gears, hub clamps, 608 yoke, 686 pitmen, etc

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
Runway

Post by Runway »

Thank you all for the response. A little embarrassed about the O being added to Aermotor, sorry for the mispell there. I think based on this information, he may want to look at going with a new set up. I know some of the spokes are bent up, judging by the rareness and oiling issues, this may not be the one for him to keep and put to work regularly. Although it will be pumping frequently, it will mostly be for a water feature. I think I should at going a different avenue for this guy. Maybe a refurbished or new one? I will see what he thinks. We are located in Central Michigan area.
I also hate to see anything old go away, so any recommendations on people that may have interest in this 612?
windybob

Post by windybob »

All the sheet metal, rims, sails, spokes, tail, all that stuff can be worked and straightened. A means 8 foot wheel. X would mean 6 foot wheel. The cast parts having A means they are all for 8 ft mills. I have piles of 602 heads, and most 702's are used in the field here. especially 6 ft models. I would update to a 702 due to easy of workability. Parts are available for 602 and 702 mills, not sure about 612, as I don't have one.

I don't know why folks tend to put an "O" in Aermotor either. I normally wouldn't comment on that, but you did, so I followed up. lol
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.