Roger's 502

......when you need to get in the weeds.
Minnemiller

Roger's 502

Post by Minnemiller »

I'm working on restoring the 1929 dated 502 gearbox Roger Feilmeier had. Does anyone have any pictures showing the hub it came with. He posted pictures on the old forum but it appears that forum isn't accessible anymore. Thanks in advance,

JH
windybob

Re: Roger's 502

Post by windybob »

I don't, but my question is how can it be 1929 when they were only made in 1915?
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

I was wondering the same thing Bob but than I thought maybe they changed the hoop.
Minnemiller

Post by Minnemiller »

Windy, shoot, i was hoping one of the old guard like you had the pics squirreled away. Anyways, it appears you forgot the discussion back in the day when Roger posted- It was a replacement case for original 502 owners. It has patent dates through 1920 cast on the side and a side drain plug and profiled bottom (for mast pipe with cup) that even the early 602's lacked. Yes, its a head scratcher they even offered it vs just selling a 602 case with tailbone. I'm trying to figure out if it used the original 1915 hub or if they upgraded when the case was swapped. Looking at a repair parts list from the 1920's it seems as though it was just a bare case since it was called a "main frame". Barb had an album of pictures from Roger but it doesn't show the hub :( It could have been upgraded by the dealer even if all Aermotor shipped in '29 was the main frame.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Jud
I remambered roger's case being obscure but didn't remember all the details. You were smart to get it out of there before I showed up for the rest of his aemotor inventory....

Here is a page from November 1930 Parts price list.
20240304_094144.jpg

Here is the reference to the asterisk
20240304_095659.jpg
It is listed as a mainframe with the buffer springs attached. Aermotor did refer to a mainframe as a bare case. Somewhere in the 1950s, they started to bundle components. Then they offered a basic motor and dropped the bare case mainframe.

I see no reference to any other hub in the parts list besides the 503 on the 502. I have not seen anything other than the 503 hub in the field even if it had the 502 brake band

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I cant honestly say that I remember that. I do remember the pic where he had a mill in the kitchen sink cleaning it up. And I can find one of Roger probably fairly fast. But I dont remember a picture of the 502 mill any place.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

LOL , thank you letting me laugh out loud today , i forgot about the windmill in the sink being cleaned , there was a good thread about that !!
Minnemiller

Post by Minnemiller »

Hi Ron, yes, it was part of a package deal i made with Barb at the time for some things. You're lucky I didn't have more space on the trailer :) Thank you for confirming it would have just been sold as a bare case. I need to look at the pictures he took again but I think it had post 1915 single stroke, small journal I beam pitmans in it when he got it. That's what makes me wonder if it didn't get a newer 602 hub also when it was assembled. Its a head scratcher then why they wouldn't have just upgraded to a 602 case.

Windy, I'd like to see the pics of the gearbox in the sink again- I can't remember if that was the Fairbury or the 502. I think it was the fairbury but not positive?
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

PaulV
Minnemiller

Post by Minnemiller »

Haha thanks Paul