Windmill attractions around Texas: Dublin, Comanche, Austin?

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
DennisT

Windmill attractions around Texas: Dublin, Comanche, Austin?

Post by DennisT »

I expect to attend my grandson's University graduation in Austin, Texas, April 19th. Will be in Austin 4 days, but riding with daughter, etc., so time will be limited. Plan to see my Great Grandfather's home in Dublin, and drive around some. Anything I ought to know about windmills in the region? Thanks, Dennis
mtblah

Re: Windmill attractions around Texas: Dublin, Comanche, Austin?

Post by mtblah »

Conservation Plaza in New Braunfels TX , about 1 hr south of Austin off I-35
Ideal Steel & I can give you a guided tour of additional , 10 ft Aermotor , F&W untouched for 40 years , 3 legged Aermotors , several , & best of all Gruene Hall , oldest dance hall in Texas where ALL the greats preform , just making the offer . PM me if your interested & i will send contact info
Mike B
New Braunfels TX
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

In Comanche there is a windmill at their History Museum put up by Cliff Conway. Are you driving from Washington or flying in. If driving there is a windmill farm close to Granbury in Tolar and of course there is Lubbock with plenty of windmills to see.
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

Thanks, guys! Mike, I'd love to take you up on your personal offer, but I'm not seeing the other 5 of us talking about any run south of Austin. We will be flying down next Thursday, (Ugh), and GSon's graduation is Friday. So we only have Sat, (Dublin), and Sunday - then fly back north Monday. My daughter has yet to mention anything about a Sunday plan, and I suspect it will be what grabs their attention most after, "MY," desire to see our family home in Dublin.
The tip about the Comanche Museum's windmill is a good one. My grandfather, (Leggett), was born in Comanche, and his father, (my GG'pa), built a fine home in Dublin, (now known as the Gallagher House), when he was manager of Dublin Music Company.
I'd ask for your contact info, Mike, but if we suddenly find ourselves near you it's not fair to call you and say, "here we are," with no notice. Still, everything said here is helpful and I can watch for opportunities.