Degreaser

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
CTXmiller

Degreaser

Post by CTXmiller »

This Baker Monitor WB was lubed with grease. :( The grease kept the mice out, so that was a plus. The prior owner said they took it down about 35yrs ago.

I used some generic degreaser, Zep and brake cleaner at different points was well as a little diesel fuel and a pressure washer. It was a mess to clean up. However it cleaned up well and disassembly was fairly easy.

What is everyone’s favorite degreaser or degreasing method?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtblah

Re: Degreaser

Post by mtblah »

Michael , that was NASTY ! I would have taken to a mechanical repair shop with a hot water enclosed degreaser cabinet .
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Varsol ,
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Mike,

I’ll have to look into Varsol. Thank you.

It really only cost me 2 cans of degreaser and 2 cans of brake cleaner…so $13. The brake cleaner worked great in the snoot oil channels. I used a little diesel and had a supply of Zep on hand. Plus it cost me a roll of paper towels, more so for my hands. Of the 4hrs I spent, most of that time the degreaser was soaking to some degree. The Zep was taking the old paint off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Looks great Michael. That was quite a messy job.

My go-to degeaser is mineral spirits.
PaulV
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

I have a tub with diesel fuel and kerosene mixed and let the gear box sit in that for about a week.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I used to take heads to the machine shop for a dip in the hot tank. They gave me a reasonable price, and it was worth it considering the time it took for me to put them in the parts washer here. Then I started using the torch. That was fun. lol
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Windy , did you really use a flame to degrease ?????????? out side hopefully .
windybob

Post by windybob »

Sure did. And do. But not heads as bad as his.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Thank you.

I sort of feel like it had the equivalent of two 14oz grease cartridges worth of grease in it. Even the mast pipe had a good amount of grease in it.

As greasy as it was, it cleaned up pretty well and was in pretty good shape. It is getting a new bronze front bushing. The bushing was worn, but not worn thru. Also, it will get a new tail pin, pump rod and cross head pin as those are pretty easy to make.