How is fairbanks morse WG oiling system supposed to work?

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
humphry

How is fairbanks morse WG oiling system supposed to work?

Post by humphry »

I have an old WG that I took apart, cleaned, and put back together. There is no oil pump that I can tell, just two oil channels for the shaft: one opens high on the front side of the casing and runs along the shaft to empty out at a channel that rings the front of the shaft. The second channel opens on the bottom of the shaft not far from the channel and dumps out into the main case right underneath where the shaft also enters into the main case.

I put in oil and turned the mill really fast by hand for a minute but the upper part of the housing where these oil channels (and the shaft) are stayed dry. Everywhere else, including the back part of the shaft, got covered in oil. I cannot for the life of me figure out how oil is supposed to get into either one of those oil channels and therefore to the shaft. I had assumed oil would get splashed or flung up there by the gear spinning but that did not happen.