Don’s Windmills

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
Reddirtwind

Don’s Windmills

Post by Reddirtwind »

Anyone ever dealt with “Don’s Windmills” (Pearland, TX)?? (Also doing business as “Windmill Fans of Texas”)

Ordered a part 2 weeks ago, got an order confirmation, and no info since. Have tried to contact through email, phone, business cell phone, and contact page on website. (Yes, all “politely”.) No responses, whatsoever.

Any experience with them? Anyone know them (if they’re ill, death in family, etc)??

(Only a $65 part, so not big money, here.)

Not attempting to start “drama”, just simply asking if someone has info I’m not aware of…
Wayne

Re: Don’s Windmills

Post by Wayne »

Might be like an experience I had once. Bought a new tractor seat from a guy in Il. Waited never heard anything, he cashed my check. Get a tractor magazine and he had died. Then his kids wouldn't give me my money back nor the seat.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

did not know anyone was doing windmill business in Pearland ...... suburb of Houston , south west area
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

A couple of months ago on one of the windmill Facebook pages their were people commenting the same about their customer service and not able to get ahold of them.
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
Reddirtwind

Post by Reddirtwind »

Good to know. I basically ordered because they were Texas-based, had “genuine Aermotor parts”, and had free shipping on many of them.

Still haven’t heard a WORD from them.

Had to order a pump cylinder, so went ahead and ordered the same “$65 part”, as well, from Dean Bennett Supply. Had to make a small change to the order, the next day, and they were right on it.

Dean Bennett Supply- Thumbs up
Don’s Windmills- Thumbs down
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

The daughter and son of Dean Bennett retired and sold the biz now almost ten years ago to Denver Winpump. Denver Winpump has a better managerial style than the Bennetts had. Also, John, a long time DB employee, is there at Denver Winpump. He probably has the best windmill retail background out there other than the people that have actually installed. The down side is that they now carry Mexican Wind Engine instead of Aermotor and FIASA that Dean Bennett had. It was nice when they had Aermotor that I could get anything I didnt have next day without paying for next day shipping. I think they carry Midco pump cylinders and not Midland?

I have not heard much on Don's. Don was the grandfather and grandson was operating the biz now. They contacted me about 10 years ago for a half dozen big mills for a customer. I quoted but never heard anything. It didnt sound like they stocked much and drop shipped.

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
Reddirtwind

Post by Reddirtwind »

Yeah, Denver Winpump (Dean Bennett), is dealing in Wind Engine stuff. Since it’s just a furl handle, I wasn’t too worried.

The cylinder I got IS a Midland, made in Fort Worth, TX. Midco is a division of Midland (doesn’t make cylinders, but makes flanges/etc for municipal water systems). Were you thinking “Maass Midwest” (not Midco)?? (Winsupply does carry some Maass Midwest cylinders, as well).

Ordered on Sunday evening (online). Cylinder showed up on Wednesday.

In 18 days, I have yet to hear a single word from Don’s (other than the initial automated “order confirmation”).
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

It was either last Spring or the Spring before that.I was ever on that side and and went through the cylinders.I had on the truck. None of the wholesale pump houses had any cylinders in stock but Winpump had them. They were in white boxes, clearly labeled Midco and a standard 442 cylinder. One of the 3 had a defective bottom check so they were memorable. I have a compulsive habit of filling the cylinder with water to test before installing. The casting for the centering nipple of the bottom check was cast crooked. The check was different than a Midland.so I had to take the old one and put a new gasket on it as it was similar.

Ron
20240510_100108.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Reddirtwind

Post by Reddirtwind »

Weird….
Well, mine’s American.

Well, here’s what I got:
3680B1AD-8C6C-4405-B4A2-0BC05D7C3604.jpeg
D7DD43EC-4337-46E8-8FE5-934FCAF2BF44.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Reddirtwind on Fri May 10, 2024 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reddirtwind

Post by Reddirtwind »

CE2FE1BE-E770-4D98-9A44-B17BE0A8A6F6.jpeg