Another 6' Dempster #12 question

......when you need to get in the weeds.
tomar46@aol.com

Another 6' Dempster #12 question

Post by tomar46@aol.com »

I have a schematic of the Dempster #12 6' mill and the wheel shaft view is different than mine. On my shaft coming from the wheel end there is a thick washer then the bearing then a spring about 4 inches long and then the spiral spacer. My question is how do I remove the thick washer and bearing? The washer looks like it fixed in place somehow. Also wondering why mine is different than the manual view? Thanks, Tom
mtblah

Re: Another 6' Dempster #12 question

Post by mtblah »

Tom , washer is not fixed in place , differance could be upgrades by the manufacturers and your printed schematic ,
windybob

Post by windybob »

WOW what the heck just happened to the long explanation I just gave on this topic??
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number. IF YOU TALK TO HIM, AND HE HELPS YOU, THEN BUY FROM HIM. IT CREATES GOOD KARMA.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I think it was in the 50's when Dempster re-designed their front-end area (again) and changed the sealing part of it. That thick washer is a press-fit washer, that specifically determines the endplay / preload, between the front and rear bearings. I usually heat that washer and it falls off. What they did, is change the entire front items on the mainshaft from the oil spiral (spacer) the the nose plate. Yours takes the older felt oil seal, which is good, but needs the felt seal bolstered by adding new felt, or wrapping cotton rope around the shaft to replace that felt seal. They replaced that with a full-circle rubber oil seal, which mounts in a different nose plate along with a chrome-steel bushing. Also the large flat tin washer, , felt, presswasher, spring, and short oil spiral were either dropped, or replaced with different parts.. Then came the #12 B which came later with yet a different variance on the front seal. However, it;s close enought that most think it's an improved regular#12, Which it is.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number. IF YOU TALK TO HIM, AND HE HELPS YOU, THEN BUY FROM HIM. IT CREATES GOOD KARMA.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Oh there it is. I forgot to hit Submit. LOL Guess I must be the only flat pepsi in the box of 18 that are still carbonated.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Windy , thanks for making me smile , wide ,
tomar46@aol.com

Post by tomar46@aol.com »

Windybob thanks for the information, explains a lot. Tom
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Yeah Windy! At least you can remember the good stuff people need.