Monitor Steel- k main bearings

......when you need to get in the weeds.
Centex Windmills

Monitor Steel- k main bearings

Post by Centex Windmills »

Just pulled a monitor steel apart for a quick refresh. It's has poured babbit bearings full length of the two gear shafts.
Is that the normal for these?

I always thought they had the half moon brass inserts in the different shafts, like the e models.

If they are poured babbit anyone gone back with a brass sleeve instead or if you poured babbit any tips on them.
windybob

Re: Monitor Steel- k main bearings

Post by windybob »

check to see if it has the runway in the snout for brass ones to fit. if it does, then maybe someone has poured the babbitt as a quick fix. I think the brass is the same one in the K as it is in the WC.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number. IF YOU TALK TO HIM, AND HE HELPS YOU, THEN BUY FROM HIM. IT CREATES GOOD KARMA.
Centex Windmills

windybob wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 8:56 am check to see if it has the runway in the snout for brass ones to fit. if it does, then maybe someone has poured the babbitt as a quick fix. I think the brass is the same one in the K as it is in the WC.
I'll have to melt them out to get a better look. The big gear shafts after some scraping I found some brass in a partial runway under the babit, the main shaft I can't really see the bottom the top doesn't have the runway.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Somewhat similar, I recently rebuilt a long neck Baker WC, which had lead of some sorts as its front bearing instead of the brass bushing. It didn’t appear to be poured and it popped out fairly easily during the rebuild.

My Baker Monitor X has the brass bushings.

Your poured bearing might pop out as well.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Well that looks like one mell of a hess to me. LOL Melt it all out. You have nothing to lose. If the brass runway is intact, go with it. If it's not, you can always go babbitt. Unless they machined it out, it should still be there.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number. IF YOU TALK TO HIM, AND HE HELPS YOU, THEN BUY FROM HIM. IT CREATES GOOD KARMA.
Centex Windmills

Well got the main shaft melted out tonight, one hour and this is only part of it.
The runways are still there, a little worn but there. Have a spare set of bushings I'm going to see if they will work and then fill in any worn case spots with babbit hopefully.

I left the babit in the bull gear shaft, it's not worn out like the main gear.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I would weld up the wallerd place before assembly. It would leak pretty good at that spot. You can use a new bearing to see how high up to weld it. I've done a bunch of those. If I remember, there is a front and rear bearing, and the middle is a space for grease between them. On a hot day if the grease liquifies, maybe it won't run out so much under that front bearing. The notch cut out by the rear bearing is for lube, and a wooden plug goes in it. I bet you don't have the original plug.....lol
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Brandon , super nice looking floor in the shop , clean also .
Centex Windmills

HAHA, thanks it's almost to nice of floor, I miss having concrete. I've had to rebuild all my work stands and have to actually care now.
mtblah wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 6:43 am Brandon , super nice looking floor in the shop , clean also .
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

:D