Need grease recommendations for non-bearing storm stay use, etc.

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
DennisT

Need grease recommendations for non-bearing storm stay use, etc.

Post by DennisT »

I asked this elsewhere a while back but got no specific answers. I'll start this way: I'm getting ready to find someone to go up and grease the zerk fitting on the storm stay, "bearing," on my 10-foot F&W 37. It's, "down-pipe," is only a couple feet long or less, and the bottom goes through a solid cast stay. No real bearings. Of course it's not load bearing and only stabilizes the mill vertically as it rotates following the wind changes. My first thought is plain old automotive grease gun grease like we've always used for drive lines, steering linkage, etc. Which I have. I do also have on the shelf some Valvoline "Crimson" heavy duty, "tacky," grease, which I believe is actually a red lithium. The storm stay is subject to weather, so..............?

Or does it even really matter as long as it gets greased a couple times a year......

So what do you all use/do?

Thanks, Dennis
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: Need grease recommendations for non-bearing storm stay use, etc.

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

What ever grease i have handy. No high R.P.Ms there.😁
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

Thanks. Makes sense. PS: I am considering swapping out the zerk for an old fashioned grease cup. Then anyone up on the platform does not have to pack a grease gun and can just turn the cup in a bit and come down. Even thinking of a pair of cups with interchangeable cups/caps so when up there and the one is low/out of grease, it's just unscrew it, and screw on the spare that you took up just in case.
(Probably over thinking here.......but since I an too old to climb, I try to arrange wise shortcuts)
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Sounds like a plan to me. We do tend to think smarter the older we get.At least i like to think so.!!
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

I have a couple of grease guns, but I typically grab the one with marine grease for use on my windmill, tractor, equipment, etc. Any grease is better than no grease at wear points, etc. My logic on marine grease is because many items are exposed to the elements.

Like Dan said, low RPM it probably doesn’t matter much.
DennisT

Post by DennisT »

Good. I've little experience with Lithium grease. I had some in an old grease gun, (white stuff), and it seemed rather hard, but was also old. I just wonder if it gets stiff in cold weather, like we have here at times.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Better if it does get stiff in winter. At least it will be there and do the job. The thicker the better. ( in that situation)
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number. IF YOU TALK TO HIM, AND HE HELPS YOU, THEN BUY FROM HIM. IT CREATES GOOD KARMA.
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

For my mills, I use whatever grease is in the gun at the time. Once a year service was the advertisement. Consistent service intervals are the key to longevity.
PaulV