Baker Model L Vaneless

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
MarkHarrington212

Baker Model L Vaneless

Post by MarkHarrington212 »

I have a Baker model L that I would like to put up in my yard as a functioning (pumping) display. I have the stub tower for it also, I am looking for a tower (27'-33') I am located in Abbotsford B.C Canada, does anyone know where I could purchase one ( new or used) in Canada or in Washington State ?

As for the water pumping part....What do people do that set these up for display? My property is serviced with water from the municipal supply. I thought about having a well drilled, but that is pretty serious money in this area and everywhere I imagine, it seems kinda silly to spend that for a display, that said if I could do it for 10-12k I would! but seems like its 20-30k. I thought about burying a cistern tank and pumping and recirculating to that.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Mark
mtblah

Re: Baker Model L Vaneless

Post by mtblah »

Mark , your last coment about a underground cistern , ( 55 gallon plastic drum ) is the easiest option .
MarkHarrington212

Post by MarkHarrington212 »

yes that would be the easiest option and I might end up going that route. With all the effort to restore the mill and buy and install a tower, restore a hand pump etc. t would be nice to have it pump water from the ground though.
whyjay

Post by whyjay »

Hi Mark, I’m in the process of restoring a B702 Aermotor and old Dempster tower and also want to set it up to demonstrate water pumping. New wells not allowed here and we get our water from a Metro district. Anyway I’ve been researching cistern options and came across this underground cistern. It’s early stages for me but this seems a viable option to bury under the tower. Quadel 175 gallon. They also make a 200 gal version. Company located in Oregon. My thought is to pump into a stock tank and recirculate back to the cistern. Just need to work out the details. Any comments or suggestions much appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I do that with gas engines. I rig up a cylinder of my own design and construction. You can buy check valves from a well stocked hardware or plumbing supply house. I then use a regular windmill valve for pumping inside grey schedule 80 2 inch pipe. The pipe isn't true 2 inch inside and an 1 7/8 inch valve will work in the pipe to pump water. Works well.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I didn't finish. I pump using a windmill hand pump, the out flow goes into one of the catch cups that hang off the spout down a pipe into a stock tank. I forget the name of the catch cup. I know it has one.
windybob

Post by windybob »

We have done that with plastic barrels. put an overflow on the tank where the water runs out of it before topping the tank walls. Put a screen in the overflow to stop trash from going underground into the plastic barrel. Build a nice deck in the tower base to cover the inground tank, and bolt a handpump to the base. Keep goldfish in the above ground tank. Oh, don't use clorinated water, that kills fish.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number. IF YOU TALK TO HIM, AND HE HELPS YOU, THEN BUY FROM HIM. IT CREATES GOOD KARMA.