Baker hole punch

Break something? We understand your frustration. Vent about it here.
joe herman

Baker hole punch

Post by joe herman »

Today I tried out the Baker hole punch I received from Ivan. I punched two holes in the 1/8th inch angle iron of the Aermotor stub
tower I was preparing to mount on a Monitor L tower. The B602 will replace the Monitor L that crashed to the ground after
the customer was trying to prevent the wheel from turning after not being able to furl the mill. The crank plate broke releasing the wheel.

The first two holes went OK although I had to use a fair bit of torque using a 1/2 x 24 inch rod. After trying to punch the 3rd hole the punch
broke into two pieces. Why did it break? Was it not designed to punch 1/8th inch iron?

I have sent Ivan a PM hoping he will respond.

I needed this punch to save drilling 32 holes in the tower legs.
I was looking at hydraulic but they are pricey and can not justify the money for maybe just this one job.

Joe
joe herman

Re: Baker hole punch

Post by joe herman »

Further to the last post.
I know a good welder and was thinking he could weld the two pieces together. Would be tricky as has to make sure the pieces are
perfectly line up.
It is nice looking cast by the way.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Wow.I have worn them out after a long time, and they still have not broken. Maybe something wrong with the punch die. 1/8 should be a breeze, although some angle is tougher than others, it still should be easy. MAybe the dots got piled up in the die. They should still punch through though.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number. IF YOU TALK TO HIM, AND HE HELPS YOU, THEN BUY FROM HIM. IT CREATES GOOD KARMA.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

You could probably order a new one from Verdun. An older price list that was on the forum is attached. I think those are good for 3/16” material.

I’ve broken a punch on a Roper Whitney #10 hand punch. I didn’t have the material square in the punch and it snapped. It was user error (me), but it was a smaller punch.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
joe herman

Post by joe herman »

Are those US dollars? Converted to CDN would be $245.00
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Those are US dollars. Verdun is in Kansas or so I seem to recall. I was understanding you broke the $21.34 (HP-63) part in the older price list and not the complete screw punch unit. My mistake…
joe herman

Post by joe herman »

Does any one have Ivan's phone number? I sent him a Pm but he may not respond. I would like to ask him a few questions re punch.
Seemed like the punch was not entering the die freely. That may have had something to do with the failure.
You could PM me his number. It was probably on the auction sale bill.
Thanks,
Joe
joe herman

Post by joe herman »

Wayne sent me Ivan's number and email. I need to find out what could have caused the punch to break.
joe herman

Post by joe herman »

Have not heard back from Ivan yet. The only thing that I might have done to compromise the punch would have been to
over shoot the travel thereby allowing the punch to bottom out on the metal being punched. Seems to me you would know when the hole is
punched thru as screw would offer no more resistance. The screw has course thread and it does not take much to travel 1/8 of an inch.
Still hoping the welder can put it back together.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

From my experience using the punch you do know when the hole is punched. Not any doubt what happened.