Sucker rod

......when you need to get in the weeds.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Sucker rod

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

I am looking at putting a 16ft Aermotor on a well that is about 265ft to static water level. It has a pump jack on it with a 4 inch cylinder and 3/4 sucker rod. I was looking at Aermotor pumping capacity and I don't see if they figured that with fiberglass, Ash or steel sucker rod? I know the steel is going to reduce capacity but not knowing what they used for the chart makes it hard to figure, any ideas? I kind of think on the short stroke I would be fine but thought I would run it past you guys and see what people thought? I could cut new wood rod but that would be a pain and ash is hard to get any more. Thanks
Reddirtwind

Re: Sucker rod

Post by Reddirtwind »

I thought the ones I saw were either ash, or fiberglass. There MIGHT be some for 7/16” steel, but are you talking about 3/4” STEEL (or fiberglass)?? I’d think that would be awfully heavy?? (Wouldn’t 3/4” steel be oilfield sucker rod??)
Last edited by Reddirtwind on Thu Jul 18, 2024 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reddirtwind

Post by Reddirtwind »

DEB8F337-EA10-4AB7-8C9F-9C1FB84786F2.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

great chart. I know its pretty heavy, it has an oil field pump jack on it now. Years ago we had 7/16 round rod, I don't think it was cold rolled, anyway, it was threaded on the ends and the threads next to the coupler kept breaking so we went to 1/2, did the same and we got tired of pulling it so a friend in the oilfield said he would give us a pump jack so we just put rod in it that wouldn't break. I can't complain about the set up but gas isn't a buck a gallon any more and I got a windmill sitting here so....
Kansas Rust Buzzard

I reread what I typed, I meant to say 5/8 not 3/4 sucker rod. Its been a long day roofing a shed, lol
Reddirtwind

Post by Reddirtwind »

What size is your drop pipe??

There are charts on the internet that’ll tell you how much volume per foot, a certain pipe size holds. Figure out how many gallons in 265’ (Actually, you’ll be deeper, since you’re gonna go at least 20-30’ below your static, I would guess)of that pipe. Also calculate the weight of 265’ of your sucker rod. Water is 8 pounds per gallon.

Compare this to how much weight a 16 footer can pump at max depth (and compensate for the difference in weight between glass rod, and your heavy stuff), and you’ll have an idea if you’re ok or not.

That chart says you’re only good to 225-250 feet, with GLASS rod (and you’ll be pumping at around 300-ish feet), but they are probably assuming 4-1/2” or 5” pipe for a 4” cylinder. If you were using much SMALLER pipe, the “column of water” you would be lifting, should be LIGHTER, which should help you.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Yes, the pipe is 2 3/3 ID, its metric so its about that. I don't really think I need it much below the surface, its a 16 inch casing and I have ran a submersable down it filling water trucks with a generator and you can't pull it down at all. One thing I got in my favor is, its on a hill with no trees within 3/4 mile and average wind speed is 14.7 mph.