Black Could of Despair

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about things in general, in most cases.
Wayne

Black Could of Despair

Post by Wayne »

Don't know how many of you remember Little Abner in the Funny paper. There was a guy named Joe Blisnick or something like that who had the Black cloud of despair floating over his head. I'm beginning to feel like Joe. The past month the Black cloud of despair has settled over me. First when I got home from my trip I had a water leak. Then last Saturday I checked to see if I had some frozen potatoes I like in my freezer. I had the potatoes but they weren't frozen anymore nor was anything else in the freezer. The freezer is part of my fridge. I have another fridge in my shop, so I moved most of what was in my refrigerator into it. The frozen stuff I was afraid to refreeze. The fridge will be 7 years old in October. I'm waiting on a repairman. Hopefully this week. If not repairable then will buy a new one. Then this past Saturday came home from shopping and thought it doesn't seem very cool inside. Yes now the Air Conditioner is not cooling. I survived the weekend. Thank goodness we kinda had a cool spell come through. Going this morning an see what we can do about the air conditioner. New one or repair. It's the same age as the fridge. If it weren't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all. :(
PaulV
Site Admin

Re: Black Could of Despair

Post by PaulV »

You've had a few rough weeks Wayne. If everything happens in threes, then your bad luck is over. Hang in there. Everything happens for a reason, tho the reason may not be known for some time.
PaulV
windybob

Post by windybob »

sorry about that wayne. I know how that happens. That's why I take certain pills.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number. IF YOU TALK TO HIM, AND HE HELPS YOU, THEN BUY FROM HIM. IT CREATES GOOD KARMA.
Kenneth

Post by Kenneth »

Every time we go out of town, I turn the main water off where it comes into the house. It is a good habit to get into. The only thing I have to do is turn the ice maker off. That will fix the water leak issue, but I don't have any tricks for the fridge or the A/C.

Kenneth
tst

Post by tst »

Jack Daniels can help
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

The water leak ended up being the plastic line going to the ice maker. Had a real small pin hole. Thank goodness it wasn't spewing much water. Won't happen again I replaced it with a braided line. Ice makers probably cause more water issues than anything else. If I have to buy a new fridge may not get one. I don't drink anything I need ice for. If I do need ice, I've got ice trays.
joe herman

Post by joe herman »

I bought new fridge this spring. The old one did not have an ice maker so after making ice cubes by tray for 20 years in the old decided
to buy one. I could not get it installed as every thing is plastic and I did not want to force things so asked the dealer to send some one
out to install it. Worked OK for about 3 weeks until the lever that shut the water flow off when the tray was full failed. Result the large
cube container filled with water and I had a big block of ice and more. I am back to making ice cubes the old way.
We bought a used fridge 22 years ago and it is still working fine. With the extreme hot weather we have been experiencing ice cubes are
coming in handy to cool drinks . The soft and hard as well.
RPinAZ

Post by RPinAZ »

Sorry to hear Wayne, but just think how great things will be once you get past this. You know the old saying...if you eat a live toad for breakfast, chances are nothing worse will happen to you all day.

-RP
windybob

Post by windybob »

I have a washer and dryer set, (MAytag) from the 70's my ex bought before she even knew me. They still work, altho I repair them from time to time. Right now the washer is down, but I took it all apart, and am in the process of repairing it, and now putting it back together. The shaft coming out the transmission was bound up, causing the washer to lock up, and squeal the belts. After all this time, the shaft coming out of the transmission has a bit of water get in, and like a windmill ( LOL ) the shaft got rusted on one brass bushing and of course it swelled, and locked it up. Fixed now, so back together with new seals, etc, everything else is in remakablly good shape.If you all remember Jessy White, on tv, the Maytag repairman was always lonely, due to the machines working so well for so long. I can attest to that. She bought it in the mid 70's, and they both are still going. The best thing is, they are rather simple, and NO computer stuff! When the electric blinks, just reset everything else, and dont bother with those 2 appliances. When parts become obsolete (as most of the minor ones are now) and I cannot any longer buy the major parts, I will look for a used appliance. There seen to be enough of them on the market that folks can't repair.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number. IF YOU TALK TO HIM, AND HE HELPS YOU, THEN BUY FROM HIM. IT CREATES GOOD KARMA.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I agree with everything you said Windy. My washer and dryer are also of the old days. Simple and straight forward. If the repairman can't repair my fridge I may go check out the second hand man. The extra fridge I have and am using I bought from them. It's an older model GE. Bought a new air conditioner yesterday. Now I'm waiting for it to be delivered. Then have to take the old one out of the spot and slide the new one in. Maybe by the weekend I'll be back in cool comfort. Sure am thankful the weather has been some what cooler so I'm surviving.