Motor movement on tower

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
Etaylor914

Motor movement on tower

Post by Etaylor914 »

Hey everyone, super new to this windmill thing. Have a Dempster 12 with 8 foot fan that I bought to replace the old one we’d had on the acreage. I got the motor up on the tower and I replaced the ball bearings in the collar. But I feel like the motor moves everywhere and leans toward the front of motor. The collar that has the ball bearings seemed to be in good shape and didn’t look oval or worn out. Again, I’ve never put one of these up so I was wondering if the movement and it leaning is acceptable? Also this isn’t going to pump water. It’s for looks only so do I need to fashion a counterweight on the bottom rod that would move the pump? Any info someone has to give a new guy would be great. Since I’m this deep into this project is there something else I should replace beside ball bearing?
windybob

Re: Motor movement on tower

Post by windybob »

The very bottom of the head that sits on the top of the turntable many time wears at an angle. That causes the head to lean, off level. What we do is to grind that area flat again. If the balls in the turntable wear, and the turntable locks up, the head turns on the top of the turntable (cap) and it wears that area that normally would ride on the turntable, but now with the turntable top won't turn, the bottom of the head gets ground down. The turntable cup and cap are hardened cast, the mill case is not, so it wears down on the harder material.

I would check the fan (wheel) carefully for out of balance, or parts of it out of pitch. You should do this inside, out of wind and off the mill.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number. IF YOU TALK TO HIM, AND HE HELPS YOU, THEN BUY FROM HIM. IT CREATES GOOD KARMA.
mtblah

Re: Motor movement on tower

Post by mtblah »

Windy , again was was "schooled " and learned something new , thank you