Monitor WB question

......when you need to get in the weeds.
windybob

Re: Monitor WB question

Post by windybob »

If it's an original Monitor tower for that mill, then double check the items up top. There is a wrong way and a right way to hook up the 'Latch" , even though it will work both ways. Make sure you chain is hooked to the brass swivel in the tower as high up as possible. This is easy to do by opening up the tail which drops the chain down, and you can hook (the hook) it a link or two higher on the chain. If EVERYthing is correct try adjusting the tailspring one hole looser. There are many ways to incorrectly, by accident, get these wrong. Also the chain from the tailspring should be 7 ( I believe) links long.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Windy,

Thank you.

On mine, I’ve checked it all a good number of times and I keep coming back to the storm stay. I could be wrong…and as always, I appreciate your wisdom and guidance.

The bolt for the lower pump rod guide (WB22) is below the storm stay, where the storm stay is currently mounted. That bolt should be above the storm stay from literature and my understanding. That 2” difference or thereabouts seems to be the difference for the swivel bottoming out at the storm stay and thus the tailbone’s movement limitation. The chain is correct, as is the chain hooks on both ends and # of links, etc... I’ve adjusted and used different lower chain links as well. Now, I could use two short chain hooks, switching out the lower longer one with a short chain hook and see if that difference helps.

I’m still open for options and advice. This particular Monitor was my first Baker experience.

This was Roger Felmeiers NOS WB that he found in 2009 and the tower by all appearances is a Baker. Roger had unintentionally installed this WB too close to his #15 Dempster and they would make contact, so he trimmed the vane on the #15. It is possible, he adjusted the storm stay on this WB intentionally high, so that the WB tailbone wouldn’t fully open, to mitigate contact between the two windmills in his back yard. I’d have to look at his photos. How it currently is, there is no harm/wear occurring to any components, but for its appearance when running. It isn’t pumping…as it is retired.

As for the more recent posters question about this older thread, please post some photos and someone should be able to point you in the right direction.
windybob

Post by windybob »

On yours, that was obviously an issue. That's why I started out with if his was an original monitor tower. An original would most likely have the storm stay properly mounted. You did good by spotting that. It's worth checking along with the other things. You never know!

I remember Roger cutting the tail. LOL
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Thank you.

I have the #15 and replaced the vane last year. Hung the cut vane on my wall. Roger restenciled it very well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

WHat a great idea!
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Michael , you may need a larger shop & wall space for those beautiful art pieces to hang . 8-)
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Mike - I, like everyone else, wishes they’d built or could afford a bigger shop. Almost a weekly regret that I have… :D When I built my shop, I only owned one windmill…

While it was on my mind and thanks to the more recent question posed on this older thread, I fixed my WB.

The easiest approach was to shorten the lower chain hook. There is an upper and a lower chain hook and the lower one is the longer one and the upper one is the shorter one. Switching placement of chain links only marginally helped when I last sought to fix it. I need to drop 2” (or thereabouts) off of my lower chain hook, so I just made one. Option B was to lower the storm stay, but was more involved than simply cutting, drilling and grinding a piece of flat bar.

The WB works like it should now, with the vane in proper placement when running.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I love improvisation! Especially if it works right!
jmeade

Post by jmeade »

Thank you! I'll have to climb up and try to find the storm stay you are mentioning.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

jmeade wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:44 am Thank you! I'll have to climb up and try to find the storm stay you are mentioning.
Consider posting some photos of yours as that can help identify the problem.