B-702 Stub-tower problems

......when you need to get in the weeds.
hwy8

B-702 Stub-tower problems

Post by hwy8 »

I am finishing an X-702 on an original Aermotor stub-tower and the angle-iron joints are all nice and tight. I am also finishing a B-702 and I needed a heavy-duty stub-tower for it. I bought a new, 2.5" x 3/16" x 5ft. stub from a friend who likely bought it from an after-market, windmill-parts company. As my photos show, the fit is poor. There were excess zinc drops on the edges and I carefully filed those off. I think the joints simply were not cut/manufactured properly. I tightened the nuts/bolts carefully and did everything I could to draw the joints together tightly.

So, what would YOU do? I'm either going to have to spend quite a bit of time to file/reconfigure this one, or should I scrap it and look for an original?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Smax

Re: B-702 Stub-tower problems

Post by Smax »

Have seen a few original like that
windybob

Post by windybob »

I think it's fine. I would use it.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Bryon

Post by Bryon »

I would use it. But the long bolts go in different directions. You have 2 going the same direction and the other 2 going the same direction. The nut of each long bolt should be where the head of the next bolt is. I will see if I can find a photo.
hwy8

Post by hwy8 »

I unbolted one leg at a time and used a square rasp to tighten it up. It took about an hour and a half in order to make it "feel right" when I looked at it. Thanks for the encouragement, and also the advice on the long-bolts; I've been doing it wrong for years!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

My B702 stub was similar. It was original to the mill and tower. All original Aermotor. Up and flying without issue.
PaulV