Battery plates

Share and discuss your vintage wind generator related projects.
windmillerman

Battery plates

Post by windmillerman »

What could I do for battery plates in this battery jar?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wayne

Re: Battery plates

Post by Wayne »

My thought you may have to use your imagination. Never have seen any replacements. Maybe Mike Werst can answer your question. Nice set up. I have a similar one I hope to get in the air soon.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

All batteries are made up of 2 volt cells whether they are interconnected on the outside like industrial (forklift) or inside (car). Find someone that has a lot of battery cores to recycle and get dead cells of the right size to fit your jar. Industrial (forklift) cells are in poly jars and are easy to open up even tho the outside case is steel.

The glass jar cells came in different sizes. Give me an interior dimension and I can tell you what size current cell would be the closest.

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
windmillerman

Post by windmillerman »

Tore into a Lawn and garden battery plates were to flemzy maybe a golf cart battery
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Golf carts are pretty small and short. I would guess more like a L16 or small industrial cell. Biggest I have ever handled was a 233 # 2 volt cell.

Ron
Wind Charger Mike

Post by Wind Charger Mike »

I haven’t rebuilt a lead acid battery but there’s lots of YouTube tutorials out there if you really want to go down that path. I’ve disassembled many glass jar batteries and the sulfuric acid is is pretty nasty. Fumes will corrode anything around it if not well sealed. I once hauled 8 96lb glass battery’s from Minnesota to Texas with 1000lbs of steel packed around them in the back of my truck. Had I wrecked it would have been pretty ugly. If your intent is for display purposes you could make fake electrodes out of painted cardboard and put a Wincharger decal on the glass. Sneak a set of wires to the radio from a convenient 6v source and your good to go.
Mike Hage

Post by Mike Hage »

So am I dreaming in technicolor? I had this vision of restoring a 32v wincharger, somehow rebuilding the original glass batteries, and lighting up at least one shed with it. I had a wincharger set up on Canada day in Cupar Sask one year and an old guy said he still had the whole bank of batteries in the basement at his farm. He said I could have it all. Unfortunately I lost his name & number. Can you still get 32v light bulbs? One man who gave me a bunch of parts said they ran all kinds of things with there 32v system, washing machine, toaster?
Wind Charger Mike

Not a unrealistic dream...The 32V bulbs and appliances are out there if you can find them or willing to pay up. I see the bulbs frequently on ebay. Many collect that stuff, I don't unless it just falls in my lap You could get about any electric appliance in 32V, not just the common fan, radio and bulbs....you mentioned a few but also refrigerators, valve grinding machines, welders, coffee pots, ceiling fans.....There were a couple strings of 32V Christmas lights that sold on ebay a couple weeks ago, 6 bidders, $305.
I know an off the grid guy that wired his house with duel outlets, 110ac and 32Vdc. 30% of his power is from a Wincharger, 70% solar.
Mike Hage

Post by Mike Hage »

So what about the batteries could I get a whole bank of glass batteries going again? I'd like to build a paddlewheel steamboat when I win the lottery but I'm not putting a diesel engine in it. Its gotta be steam with soot and smoke know what I mean?
Wind Charger Mike

I’m not the guy to advise on the old glass battery alchemy. Never had the interest or time to dicker with them. Now turn the grid off and I bet I’ll get motivated. I believe there’s plenty of support out there if you want to go down that path. Maybe someone else on the forum has some experience