Fairbanks Morse Model 45- rebuild

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
windybob

Re: Fairbanks Morse Model 45- rebuild

Post by windybob »

Oh....When Woodmanse bought Stover, they used lots of their ideas. As far as the wires are concerned, the setscrews were all drilled, and the original wires were still in them.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Okay, here are the pinions. SURPRISE! They are in with a pin! I was looking for keys not pins. I broke one, as you can see. The pins do not go all the way thru, but stop just short of coming out the other side of the gear.

Fairbanks 45 pinions .jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

6 ft 702, or probably 602 gears will work as replacements. Teeth are the same, hole is a touch smaller for the 702, thats ok. I will check the 602 pinions tomorrow. Hole should be the same for the shaft.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Bearings for the mainshaft, and crank gear shaft. Hyatt for mainshaft, like the book says. Babbitt for the crank gear shaft, but the book says bronze. Will either go back with brass, or babbitt for both.

Fairbanks 45 bearings.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

This is the make-up of the oil pump.

Fairbanks 45 oil pump ed.jpg
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

Alright, finally getting to upload photos.

4-1/2” outside to outside on the guide rods

2” from the pin on the roller cross head to the centerline of the pump guiderod

3” from pin to pin on either side of the roller crosshead

4-1/2” out to out on the roller cross head.

Looking at the parts list, the 6’ and 8’ mills shared the same roller crosshead, crosshead roller, and Oiler lifter.
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

And a question for the class. As I am disassembling this mill, do I need to be careful to mark parts and put them back on the same side that the came off of? I.e. does the left pinion gear need to go back on the left, or are they interchangeable? I’m concerned that parts are “worn in” in its current position and needs to stay there. Am I overthinking this?
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

windybob wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 5:12 pm Okay, here are the pinions. SURPRISE! They are in with a pin! I was looking for keys not pins. I broke one, as you can see. The pins do not go all the way thru, but stop just short of coming out the other side of the gear.

Fairbanks 45 pinions .jpeg

Interesting. Mine were designed with woodruff keys
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

windybob wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:52 am Oh....When Woodmanse bought Stover, they used lots of their ideas. As far as the wires are concerned, the setscrews were all drilled, and the original wires were still in them.
I double checked mine and they were not drilled for wires. I’ll be putting them back with holes drilled. I like that.
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

And last post of the night- some nice Stover literature I found online. Some differences, but plenty of similarities.