Fairbanks Morse Model 45- rebuild

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
FlJet

Fairbanks Morse Model 45- rebuild

Post by FlJet »

4" well drilled- Water table at 85-100'
32' tower
8' fan

I've had this mill for close to 10 years. Finally got my well drilled and tower installed and now it's time to rebuild the motor. I'm missing a couple of pieces- Governor spring and bushings, brake shoe and spring, wheel shaft oiler spring, oil pump lifter, bumper spring and bolt. The brake shoe and mechanism is the item I'm struggling with the most. My hub is 9" ID though and Dodge and Ford both had vehicles with 9" drum brakes so maybe I can make something work. The motor is actually pretty tight. Not much play in any part of it. I just need to source (or make) the missing parts, clean out all of the old oil/grease and the dirt-dauber nests, and get it set on top of the tower.

I'll try and document the process and post pictures. I've had a hard time finding much on the Model 45. I have a parts list and diagram, but I really want an exploded view. Hard to tell where a missing part is supposed to go. Maybe someone else can benefit from some of my pictures.

I do also need to source a pump, but I'm curious what diameter to go with, and I have two stroke lengths to play with on the motor. Too many variables- stroke, pump diameter, and my wind. Any advice on a pump that I won't regret?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Re: Fairbanks Morse Model 45- rebuild

Post by windybob »

That mill is originally made by Woodmanse. I think that's the last one F/M bought from them to sell. I have only 1, and it's a 6 footer. I have not worked on it yet, so my feeble knowledge is well....feeble. Looks like you have a good start. When you get a diagram, learn the oil passages, and make sure they are clean. Some Woodmanse mills have hard to find passages.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
FlJet

Post by FlJet »

Windybob- On your advice I started looking for some of those passages. I don't have any sort of diagram to reference so it's a hunt for sure. But the general flow of oil seems intuitive. I hope. I did find some of the oil channels and passages that I had overlooked previously. I imagine I'll find them all when I scrub this thing down.

I did find my first issue I'll need to address. My wheel shaft is pretty messed up. Best I can tell this mill was taken down and left outside, fan-side down. The spider casting filled with rain-water, and the shaft corroded inside of the front bearing (bronze bushing maybe?).

I have a small lathe (that also needs work). Trying to decide it I get it up and running and turn a brand new shaft from scratch. Or if I try and weld this one up and machine it back. Or machine it down and sleeve it. I will definitely measure everything up and make a good drawing regardless in case I screw up whichever option I choose. If I ruin it, I'll learn something, and I have access to smarter guys with better tools who can build me one.

Anyone else encounter something similar? Other than your Aeromotor guys who can buy a new part (I'm jealous), what do you do about your unobtanium parts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I run into the same issue often. i don't think it's a problem to just make a new shaft. Should be fairly basic, maybe not even any different diameters, just a keyway. That steel is nothing special, just cold rolled. Basic diameter probably. If you want to make a complicated mainshaft, do an Axtell. (nightmare)

If I remember on other Woodmanse mills, the hub is a press-on. Maybe a tapered key (not sure) but anticipate it, and take the hub off (or loose) by pressing towards the rear. Or drill the shaft out first. Whatever. Just if you need to, waste the shaft, save the hub. Don't take too much of a chance.

I don't know if I have a diagram of those or not. I will look.
windybob

Post by windybob »

Well looks like the library section has Woodmanse mills, all except yours, which is the latest model. Rats.
windybob

Post by windybob »

You might see if you can contact these folks about your mill. They seem to have a lot of Woodmanse literature for sale. (copies) But they seem pretty reasonable. I saw several different models of Woodmanse literature available.

Notice! Never mind. I must have lost my mind.
Last edited by windybob on Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pcowley (RIP)

Post by pcowley (RIP) »

WINDYBOB, That is windmill-parts, You should know what kind of person he is. I am not going to deal with him if he was giving stuff away.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Paul Cowley phone 806dash562dash4418
windybob

Post by windybob »

Damn Paul you're RIGHT! I didn't read that far. SORRY! I will edit at once!
pcowley (RIP)

Post by pcowley (RIP) »

windybob :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Paul Cowley phone 806dash562dash4418
MAS

Post by MAS »

I agree with Paul 100%