Something Interesting to post

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
grezmonki

Something Interesting to post

Post by grezmonki »

I didnt want to hijack Windmillerman"s post because this is not a baker mill. This in my 2' replica of a 702 windmill I bought about a year ago from a man in North Carolina. He told me he made up a bunch of them years ago and started selling them. He said he had lots invested in making them and about '08, when the economy went sour, he suddenly couldnt sell them at all- no one would buy them for the price he needed to get his money back. He packed up what he had left and went on to other things, doing what he needed to earn his living. So about a year ago he built up one and had it for sale on Craigslist. I ran across it and called him , he said he had enough parts to build up 5 more and told me when they were gone -that's it! I told him I wanted to buy a couple but he didnt want to package and box and ship them(he wanted to sell local) but he would think about it. OK ,I wanted to call him back a couple of times a day to see what he decided but I kept my cool and called him about a week later and talked for a while and he did decide to send me a couple. I did a little research about them on the old website and found where quite a few were sold at one of the trade fairs and that Todd Skinner had made up Aermotor lettering that was to scale for the little mills. I called him about it and he said he had two left and he would sell them to me- what luck! The gearbox with a solid spool hub is nice, it sits on a mast pipe in a stub tower. He told me he scaled it to be proportionate with the old garden mill towers that so many people have standing in their yards. The wheel and tail are really nice, very close replica to a full size wheel and tail. My wife called it a "toy"! She just doesnt understand, but I probably did look like a excited little boy when I was sitting in the middle of the living room floor putting it together with parts scattered all around me! I sold the other one to a windmill buddy of mine. Ive checked Craigslist in the past to see if he was posting any more. Ive never seen them again so I guess - that's it!
DSCN1604.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Smax

Re: Something Interesting to post

Post by Smax »

👍
steve p

Post by steve p »

That is very cool!
JBarker

Post by JBarker »

Love it, wished I had one. Thanks for sharing.
Jerry Barker
Wills Point, Texas
214-893-2864
www.Farmhousewindmills.com
farmhousewindmills@hotmail.com
windybob

Post by windybob »

I guess I'm not the windmill buddy you sold the other one to. lol
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
grezmonki

Post by grezmonki »

Sorry no, Shane ended up with it. Looking back, after I convinced the man to sell me the two, I should of bought all five!
Troy

Post by Troy »

If you had all 5 you could have a lot more windmill buddys
windybob

Post by windybob »

Troy LOL
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

The 2’ replica 702 is very nice looking.

Anyone ever price the 4’ Iron Man windmill?