Need help on a school project (please)

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
lynninwashington

Need help on a school project (please)

Post by lynninwashington »

Hi All,
My name is Lynn and I am currently enrolled in a college class for Soild Edge cad class. I want to do my project on a 1933 Aeromotor windmill since my husband has on in the yard, he put it on a flat bed trailer from his family's farm in Indiana and brought it to Washington state and put it up.. Very cool!

The problem is finding the dimensions of the gearbox guts (not climbing up there to measure) I have looked online but to no avail. My professor said I need to create a print of the just the working parts in Solid Edge (gears, pitman arm, etc,) I don't want to make up the dimensions because I would for sure NOT get it right and I have till Dec 11 to finish my project + all my exercises and another class on my plate. It kinda sucks because we are doing zoom classes and have to learn all this online.

If someone out there could possibly be help me with some information on this subject it would help me to finish this task. This class is really cool and when I'm finished with the parts I can virtually put the parts together and watch it work. If I pass my two classes Will have a Associates Degree in precision machining. Wish me luck!
windybob

Re: Need help on a school project (please)

Post by windybob »

Oh boy! Welcome to the site! First things first. Look on the front of the case, ( or have someone) And see if it says something like A 602 or A 702, or B602. That will tell the model and size. (I think) thats a year where they had 2 models. Or stopped one, and started another. Sounds like a VERY interesting project. There are tons of pictures of Aermotors, however no measurements to be found. SO....don't know how to overcome that unless you have the parts to make it complete.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I have a 602 1929 I could take measurements from. It is in my storage building if that would help. Could also send pictures. Windy is there any difference in the size of the gears between a 602 and a 702? Cliff Conway put new style pitman arms in this one for me. It would be easy to take mine apart and lay it out and take pictures. Let me know.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I have scads of 8 ft 602 mills. No problem on parts here.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Lynn, you ran into an amazing group of enthusiasts who look like their are willing to help.
We are all dedicated to sharing windmill knowledge at what ever level we are at.
All of us were less knowledgeable until we discovered these more experienced "mechanics " that share their experiences.
JEG

Post by JEG »

What part of Washington?
lynninwashington

I live in Port Orchard was born in Yakima but raised here. I see your in WA also beautiful state even when it rains.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

With this pic
aermotor back gear.pdf

And with this info, everything in life can be figured out...

Long stroke 7 1/8" vertical travel of pump rod
Short stroke 5 1/2"
Back gearing ratio 3.29 - 1

A 1933 should be a 702 but the numbers on a 602 will be the same.

So I have to ask, has your windmill been up about 2 years? I installed one about 2 years ago in Ridgefield and a guy came down from up in that area to get a 8 x 27 from me and install himself. It can be a small windmill world out there. I remember commenting to the Ridgefield customer that we must be close the Arctic circle as there was no sun in December...

Ron Stauffer
Montrose CO
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ron Stauffer

Post by Ron Stauffer »

Oops glanced right over the part that it come out of Indiana, so it was probably appropriately rusty

Ron
lynninwashington

Yup, rusty but it still turns but doesn't pump water that's not hooked up. Was told by husband that no one is climbing up there now its about 30 feet tall. I took pic's yesterday but not sure how to post them, also have a pic of where it came from at the farm at sunset, very pretty. Thanks for the information. Have a great day!