Hello from central Texas

For New Members. Tell us about yourself.
TdcJD

Hello from central Texas

Post by TdcJD »

Hello everyone! New here. An antique windmill is something I had been kicking around getting for a few years now. Well I just stumbled upon a 1898 8ft Flint and Walling Steel Star back gear. It needs a bit of work and a new tail and wheel, but is a mostly complete head. Then in a ridiculous turn of events, I was showing my neighbor the windmill when he tells me he has had one laying in his yard this whole time and I was welcome to just have it. I can't believe I never noticed it especially since the tail nailed to the fence right above the head. It's a Dempster, but don't know the model as I haven't dug it out yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CTXmiller

Re: Hello from central Texas

Post by CTXmiller »

Welcome to the forum.

Dan Benjamin makes wheels and vanes for just about any windmill.
Kenneth

Post by Kenneth »

Welcome to the forum. Check out Projects. I am restoring an 8' Red Cross which is a clone of the Steel Star. Also Mark is restoring an 8' Steel Star and has a thread in Projects. If you have any questions, please chime in and we can help you.

Kenneth
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Welcome Thomas. Nice F&W. Lots of helpful folks here so share your restoration adventure.

We looked for our first mill for a couple of years. Found three different mills in one week within 10 miles of us. You never know when and where they will turn up.
PaulV
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Thomas , welcome aboard , some of us have a little experience with open gear windmills ,
if you need help pouring babbitt for new bearing I can help you in the process .
I have been keeping an eye on a neighbors F & W open gear for several years now , just waiting for it to fall over , easier to retrive the head . :roll:
Mike Blahnik
New Braunfels TX
TdcJD

Post by TdcJD »

Thanks for the welcomes! I'll wait on the wheel and tail until I get the head all back together. Two things I'm missing is one of the pullout pitmans and the brake shoe, so will have to figure something out there. The shafts also have some good rust pitting on then aswell.
And yes Mike I would definitely need help with babbitts as I haven't done that before. I'm only about 15 minutes from New Braunfels.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

I'm here to help .
Mike B
rockingjl

Post by rockingjl »

Welcome to VWM