Fair Banks Morse Type V

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
Terry

Re: Fair Banks Morse Type V

Post by Terry »

Thank you everyone. It has been a fun project.
According to the field guide the Fairbanks Banks Morse Vainless was introduced as early as 1913 and remained in production until the mid 1920's.
The casting were painted the same Blue as the FBM line of gas engines. With the tips painted Red. I think the engine color was not as Blue. More of a lighter Blue.
I found the rattle can paint at the hardware store. Short of a custom color I decided this would work.
The Eclipse was made from the 1860's to the 1920's. So towards the end on the Eclipse run.

Terry
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Real nice work Terry!
PaulV
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

I have a couple of FM Z engines from that period, both are in either original or very old paint with decals, one is a sky blue and the other is a greenish blue. Of course oxidation, dirt, heat or sunlight can change colors but I feel pretty sure they started off life as different colors. One is hit and miss and the other is throttle governed so maybe they had different blues for that? I have no idea but I think your colors look outstanding!

As for rattle can paint, I painted my old 1 ton Chevy 15 years ago with very expensive Dietzler automotive paint and the bumper with Krylon white. The body paint faded very bad but the bumper still looks great. Go figure.
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I've got a Fairbanks with some original paint and it's green. Most I have seen are kinda Hunter Green. My engine I believe is 1930's so a lot could change in 20 years. Maybe Green paint became cheaper.
Kenneth

Post by Kenneth »

Terry, very nice. Museum quality for sure.

Kenneth
Terry

Post by Terry »

The places I looked I could not find a good color on the old engines. So I just closed my eyes and picked a color. I think I came up with a good color.
Thank you for all of the comments.
Terry