Another 602 rebuild

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Tomdee1

Another 602 rebuild

Post by Tomdee1 »

I posted a while back about a frozen hub on a Aeromoter 602. Well life got in the way and I put the project down. Another 602 on the family farm blew up, but the hub turned and I was able to break it all down. The big gears are bad, the pitman arms were broke, but I salvaged those from the frozen 602.

I want this windmill to turn and the sucker rod to go up and down, but it won't pump any water. I just love to here the clanking sound. So my questions are:
You can see what is left of the old babbitt bearing under the big gears. So I knocked the bearing out of the frozen hub 602, can I reuse it in the other one by just setting it in? The hub shaft appears to be in decent shape, but do I need to redo the bearing in the snout? I don’t believe I will be able to do that myself. A piece of the oil scraper is broke but I think I can find one on ebay. Any other thoughts?

I will repaint the tail piece, it says Crouthers Supply, San Angelo (TX) which is close to where the farm is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: Another 602 rebuild

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

If you say the saddle bearing is still good you took out of the other mill i guess you could try some JB Weld to hold it in place just a skim coat. Your pitmans you can use bushings as some do on the forum. Snout bearing should be repoured. Good luck with everything.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

TomDee, there are windmillers who live very close to you who "specialize " in pouring babbitt , well maybe they would help get you started in installing new bearings in your 602,
Mike B
New Braunfels TX
Tomdee1

Post by Tomdee1 »

Mike, that you be great. Please anyone PM me who can do that.
Tomdee1

Post by Tomdee1 »

A quick update on the progress. Thanks to Mike's help the babbit bearings are poured. A little more cleanup and a few more parts and I am going back together. The fun is beginning.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

cleaning up nicely .
remember to open up the return oil galley under the nose spout .
Tomdee1

Post by Tomdee1 »

Mike I have taken care of that. Thanks for the reminder.
Tomdee1

Post by Tomdee1 »

I have a question on the oil collector in the hub. I am cleaning up the threads from pouring the babbitt. How far does the oil collector screw into the snout. which direction does the slot face or does it matter. Below is a photo of mine. I was thinking of getting a new one but are they the same for 602 and 702's?
windybob

Post by windybob »

I usually chase the threads first. It really helps. Regular thread, not 32nd threads. A new scraper is required, because with a new bearing, the used one wont scrape. Same for either model. Usually you need to grind the top to fit it properly. A TINY bit at a time. I have never altered the bottom of it. If it hits the shaft, then you can a little.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number. IF YOU TALK TO HIM, AND HE HELPS YOU, THEN BUY FROM HIM. IT CREATES GOOD KARMA.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Thank you Windy .