Axtel Model A rebuild

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Centex Windmills

Re: Axtel Model A rebuild

Post by Centex Windmills »

Dang I've been moving so completely missed this, it sure looks like a axtel tower cap.
Centex Windmills

Well finally got back to this one trying to wrap it up to put up along with 3 more this fall. Got the old mast pipe cut off and had a new section machined, then had a smaller piece machined to slip inside to add some strength to the joint. Now to just weld it up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PaulV
Site Admin

Post by PaulV »

Looks great Brandon. Glad you back working on it. Keep up the momentum!
PaulV
windybob

Post by windybob »

It's been quite a while since I did mine. I do remember that the end caps and number of shim gaskets determine the end-play, spacing and/or preload on bearings and shafts I believe.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number. IF YOU TALK TO HIM, AND HE HELPS YOU, THEN BUY FROM HIM. IT CREATES GOOD KARMA.
Centex Windmills

windybob wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:24 pm It's been quite a while since I did mine. I do remember that the end caps and number of shim gaskets determine the end-play, spacing and/or preload on bearings and shafts I believe.
Yep that's exactly right, it's a unique system.
Centex Windmills

Been working on getting this thing back together. Hit some snags and it's back apart, but hopefully have some fixes. But when it was together it ran smooth as silk.

Its always leaked but I never knew why, axtel used machined surfaces for sealing but over the past 90 years there is a few thousands difference and on the oil pump side it just pumps oil out. So some gasket maker should hopefully seal up the surfaces, then onto the fun stuff welding and fabricating new pull out mechanisms.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

that brings back memories. Looks like you have most if not all the pullout stuff. Those are quite the mills.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number. IF YOU TALK TO HIM, AND HE HELPS YOU, THEN BUY FROM HIM. IT CREATES GOOD KARMA.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Nice progress.
Centex Windmills

Well we have taken a few steps back. Putting it together last night noticed another crack had developed right above the keyway in the hub. Not the end of the world but frustrating, went to drill out the new key to remove the hub for welding and the drill bit snapped halfway through. So no we have a stuck key with a broken drill bit. I have two more tricks to try and get the broken drill bit out if those don't work not sure what I'll do. 6 years ago when I first tried rebuilding it I had a stuck hub with a crack, 6 years later right back in the same spot, this thing just haunts me.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

That is typically my luck… Finding a replacement hub would be difficult.