New member from Colorado

For New Members. Tell us about yourself.
whyjay

New member from Colorado

Post by whyjay »

Hello folks. New member here. Also new owner of a vintage Aermotor windmill. Seller said it is fresh off a Nebraska farm and was working when taken down. We’ve been wanting a windmill since moving out onto small acreage. This was sitting on a trailer with a for sale sign just a few miles from home so I took a chance on it. From what I can determine it’s a 10 ft. Aermotor 702 built in Chicago. The tower appears to be a really old Dempster that seems to be missing the third and/or fourth sections of legs.
I’m new to this so ordered reading material from Aermotor. I’ll remove the the motor and at a minimum clean it up some and inspect the inner workings. I’ll also repair the tower. No plans for a total restoration want to keep the vintage look as much as possible.
We are in a rural 5 acre plot community with windmills on two properties that were on the original 1100 acre ranch. I plan to erect the windmill over a cistern, add the pumping mechanism and let it pump into a stock tank. That’ll be later. For now I’m educating myself on my purchase and will be performing maintenance and repair.
Thanks for letting me join the forum I’ll have plenty of questions very soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mtblah

Re: New member from Colorado

Post by mtblah »

Luke , you have a really nice start to your next adventure in life . when you take the top hat off the stamping on the hoop will give you the date of production , and a quick measurement of the fan and the casting letter in front of the 702 will designate the size .
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

Nice. The tower has my size platform. Welcome to the site.
CTXmiller

Post by CTXmiller »

Welcome to the forum. It looks to be in great shape and beautiful scenery.

The tailbone is a 602 and the wheel is single rivet on the outer band. There was probably a 602 on that stub tower in years past with that wheel, tailbone and vane; replaced with your 702. The upper furl arms have something that I haven’t seen, but maybe others have. Looks to be threaded rod coupling nuts. Like Wayne said, a big platform is my preference as well.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I have made adjustable furling rods before. They really come in handy sometimes.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number. IF YOU TALK TO HIM, AND HE HELPS YOU, THEN BUY FROM HIM. IT CREATES GOOD KARMA.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Nice find and welcome to the forum Luke!!