WELDING DAMAGED SAILS

......when you need to get in the weeds.
PaulV
Site Admin

Re: WELDING DAMAGED SAILS

Post by PaulV »

MIKES1958 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 1:36 pm HELLO BOYS & GIRLS
DOES ANYONE RECOMMEND WELDING DAMAGED SAILS "
THANK YOU , MIKE IN ARIZONA
Try welding them. Shouldn't be any issue forming them provided the weld bead isn't too think. Besides, if you're searching for replacement sails, then you have nothing to loose by trying to repair what you have.
PaulV
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I don't know. Of all the welding you can do i think welding thin stuff I believe is the hardest to do and not destroy it is tricky.
windybob

Post by windybob »

I think if you have the right welder, it works. Like maybe a mig? I don't have one, so I'm not sure.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number. IF YOU TALK TO HIM, AND HE HELPS YOU, THEN BUY FROM HIM. IT CREATES GOOD KARMA.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

I agree
Wayne

Post by Wayne »

I'm sure my problem is my skill level. I do have a mig. For an accomplished welder it probably would just be another job. For us not so accomplished it can be a nightmare.
RPinAZ

Post by RPinAZ »

I imagine it would be like doing auto body repair, you'd just have to make sure you got all the galvanizing off of the weld area. The weld won't stick otherwise and vaporized zinc makes fumes you don't want to breath. Like with autobody, you'd use mig and put a dot at a time in different locations along the weld to keep from putting too much heat into it and causing distortion. Once all the dots are connected, grind it all flush. Let us know what you end up doing.
windybob

Post by windybob »

95% of my welding is on galvanized material. There's nothing wrong with me.me.me.me.me.me
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number. IF YOU TALK TO HIM, AND HE HELPS YOU, THEN BUY FROM HIM. IT CREATES GOOD KARMA.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

:shock: :? :mrgreen: :cry: Yes those fumes will make you sick, feels like you have the flu
windybob

Post by windybob »

seriously now, I do know that. And the flu, yes indeed.
Thats why I keep milk handy. Zink overload. Chug milk, it helps. Or it did me anyway. Pretty quick too.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

I find it easier to find used ones if possible or making new ones.I already have enough health issues and brain damage without adding to it. Now what was i saying??? 🤔🤔