Raising windmills methods

Generally speaking, this area is for general discussion about windmills, in most cases.
Centex Windmills

Raising windmills methods

Post by Centex Windmills »

So we have always done it one way when we raise windmills. We fully assemble them on the ground then lift them set them in the holes and use a plumb bob to make sure they are standing straight and fill the holes with concrete. Its worked fine but were getting to some locations on our ranch we can get equipment but space is more limited.
Wanted to know what other methods people use, I see alot set the tower first then fly the assembled tail, motor and fan and set it.
CTXmiller

Re: Raising windmills methods

Post by CTXmiller »

You might consider a hinged base.
Kansas Rust Buzzard

Post by Kansas Rust Buzzard »

I used to do it the old fashioned way, now if I have a digger derrick handy sometimes I hand the tower secured until the concrete dries on the anchors. Now I often hinge them and on some I build a square base to hinge out of oil field pipe, I don't like the looks of a pipe frame on the ground but it makes future work a lot easier. How big of heads do you guys put up with the tower? I guess a 12ft Eclipse is as big as I ever did on very substantial wood tower, as much as a 14 or 16 ft Aermotor weighs, I am not sure an angle iron tower would take it?
Centex Windmills

Post by Centex Windmills »

Kansas Rust Buzzard wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 12:42 am I used to do it the old fashioned way, now if I have a digger derrick handy sometimes I hand the tower secured until the concrete dries on the anchors. Now I often hinge them and on some I build a square base to hinge out of oil field pipe, I don't like the looks of a pipe frame on the ground but it makes future work a lot easier. How big of heads do you guys put up with the tower? I guess a 12ft Eclipse is as big as I ever did on very substantial wood tower, as much as a 14 or 16 ft Aermotor weighs, I am not sure an angle iron tower would take it?
Biggest we have done is a 10 footer lifting them all complete. Our 12.5 and 16 foot mills we won't try and lift all complete. I don't worry about the tower but the mill shifting as the concrete sets with all the weight up top.

I like the hinge method, hadn't thought about that.