Baker WC

......when you need to get in the weeds.
CTull

Baker WC

Post by CTull »

Hi folks, I'm back. Found this forum and joined a couple years ago after purchasing my first windmill. Members here helped me identify it as a Baker WC, 8' mill, manufactured in 1940. I didn't get around to doing much to it or standing it up before the little wife and I decided to sell the house and property where we raised our kids and lived for 30 years. We found some land and build a new barndo that works better for our needs as we get older. Now, back to the mill.
The past few weeks, I have been straightening bent and replaced missing cross braces and have replaced the platform. The chain to the tail spring had rusted away and I replaced that as well. I read somewhere (I think on this forum) the spring should be in the middle hole on the tail bone and in the 7th link of the chain. Correct me if that is wrong.
And now my question. After the chain leaves the spring, goes through the 2 pulleys and down inside the tower, where does it attach? The wire from the pull-in handle at ground level looks like baling wire and is probably not original. The wire is attached to a part near the top that slides up and down around the pipe. I'm not sure if something is missing or if it's just me not knowing how it attaches. Here are some pictures that might help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Re: Baker WC

Post by windybob »

The lower end of the chain hooks to the hook that is on the brass swivel, that is mounted inside the cup, or WC19. the pull wire hooks in the hole in the bottom of the bail. When the tail is closed, the bail and chain should be higher in the crown of the tower. when you pull the handle down, on the lower leg, it pulls the the bail, and cup, and swivel, and chain down to open the tail.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number. IF YOU TALK TO HIM, AND HE HELPS YOU, THEN BUY FROM HIM. IT CREATES GOOD KARMA.
CTull

Post by CTull »

I see the WC19 and the wire is attached to the bottom. Is this the swivel you are talking about? Do I need to loosen the bolts on each side of the cup to slide it between the cup and the pipe? Seems like it would be tight but maybe where it belongs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
windybob

Post by windybob »

yes. You need to split the cup.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number. IF YOU TALK TO HIM, AND HE HELPS YOU, THEN BUY FROM HIM. IT CREATES GOOD KARMA.
CTull

Post by CTull »

Ok, thanks a lot for the info. I know I'll have more questions before I'm done.