What could they possibly be

Share and discuss your windmill related projects.
Crgansonia1

What could they possibly be

Post by Crgansonia1 »

I found two windImagemills that were down in Utah. They look to be in a mess. He claims one is a 10ft and the other a 12ft windmill. The pictures he sent are real poor you can't see much but I'm thinking about driving out there for a look. He claims some guy in Texas said one is a stover sampson model s and the other a stover sampson steel open gear I googled that and I don't see any windmills that size listed. I'll try putting up som a of the pics but they are poor
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Re: What could they possibly be

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

Looks like a Samson to me.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

I sure hope the asking price is real inexpensive ( cheap ) .
windybob

Post by windybob »

A lot of times I will offer twice what scrap price would be. Not all the time though. some folks would consider that an insult. Some take it happily.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number. IF YOU TALK TO HIM, AND HE HELPS YOU, THEN BUY FROM HIM. IT CREATES GOOD KARMA.
mtblah

Post by mtblah »

Windy , i have used your formula with success , it is really a fair price for both parties .
Crgansonia1

Post by Crgansonia1 »

I actually drove out to see these in person. The 10ft windmill was basically complete not to bad os shape but it's a open gear model. The 12ft one was smashed looks like it blew over. The guy wouldn't barter off his hi price so I left. He thinks they are worth a lot of money
windybob

Post by windybob »

Been there done that too. So they sit there and deteriorate. Sometimes you might have a second chance at the estate sale when it happens.
Call Dan Benjamin for parts. P M me for the phone number. IF YOU TALK TO HIM, AND HE HELPS YOU, THEN BUY FROM HIM. IT CREATES GOOD KARMA.
Windcatcher530 Dan

Post by Windcatcher530 Dan »

What i do is leave them with a offer and tell them to let me know soon as they can because if something else comes up and i buy it, sorry I only have so much money to spend. Final Answer!!! And they usually end up calling me.
CTull

Post by CTull »

windybob wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2024 1:53 pm A lot of times I will offer twice what scrap price would be. Not all the time though. some folks would consider that an insult. Some take it happily.
When you make an offer like this, do you have it weighed or just know the weight from experience? This would be a great starting point for negotiation.
windybob

Post by windybob »

That's kind of tricky. You could estimate it high, then if you can agree, then to make sure, you can load it up and run over a scale. Most small towns have a scale at the farmers elevator, or if you have a gravel pit or quarry close.

I don't even know what scrap price is these days.I had a link to a chart that had steel prices, seems to not be in my current list.

Anyway, you get the idea. Steel scrap usually isn't that much. And it varies, because it's a commodity. Here is one list of prices I just looked up.

https://www.scrapmetalbuyers.com/current-prices